72 Valiant

-

Duece

Duece
Reaction score
IMG_0823.JPG
Decided to start a thread on my build, since I am actually getting to spend some time on the car.

I bought my 72 Valiant 2 years ago from a young kid who was selling it to pay his tuition. He had put some "lipstick" on the car that was pretty rough but I liked where he was going with it. Picked it up for a decent price and began driving it around, I don't need to explain the feeling of cruising in an Abody to this group. I named it the "Green Bastard" but my boys named it the "Hulk" and it has kind of stuck

Slant 6/ auto with a 7 1/4 rear end. Nice little Sunday cruiser but have some slightly more aggressive plans for it. It's going to be my daily driver so it needs good manners but want it to have some fun with it as well
IMG_1553.JPG

I am quite fond of those Slants. With a bit of work they can scare some V8's.

wouldn't that be a Scamp ...I never heard of a 2 door valiant past 70, I was under the impression the 4 door was the Valiant and the 2 door is the Scamp.

I think your VIN should start with VH23C2 = scamp

Either way .....extremely cool car, and I am another one who is a fan of those sixes. I am building a 63 Valiant with a slant

Do I have plans for the car :lol:

The car currently leaks every fluid except washer fluid. The slant runs decent and the thought has crossed my mind several times to keep it but either way I need to pull it.

I picked up a 318/904 from a 91 half ton that a guy was getting rid of for $200. That helped me make the decision. The game plan was to build the 318 while I drove the car and then swap over the winter.
IMG_1093.JPG

Then the electrical gremlins arrived. Car started doing some crazy stuff...stereo turns off when you hit the brakes, dash blacks out when you turn the signal lights; all that fun stuff. Starter relay acting up, had to hot wire across the relay several times...once in the middle lane of the freeway in a traffic jam:rofl:

So plans changed a bit, here is where I am now:

Have the 318 torn down, not touching the bottom end.
Going to home port the heads, relap valves, change valve springs.
Keep the /6 k-member and go with the Schumacher mounts
Picked up an eddy performer still in box for $100.
Going to go with the FiTech (turbo compatible)
Picked up an 8 1/4 rear end for $100
I am also going to completely re-wire the car, probably going with Coach controls kit.
Also going to make a custom dash and new gauges

That should keep me busy for a little while:thumbsup:

Here is where we are at as of tonight
IMG_1550.JPG

Cleaned and painted a few parts, decided to stick with the "Hulk" theme under the hood as per the request of all four of my boys

A little sneak peak
IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

You'll have fun with that engine in it. That 318 has closed chambered heads and good compression.

Sounds like you plan on getting it on the road soon.... How about putting it in the 318 race.... :D
ATTENTION 318 owners: any interest???
Sounds like a great format, can't say for sure that I am going to have it together any time soon as my shop time is pretty sporadic. No strips close by either but I will keep in touch as it does sound like fun! Plus I would like to see what the old girl can do once I get it going :)

Well it's been some time since I was in the shop, but I managed to get a few hours in again. Got the rust cleaned up out of the cylinder, but it was etched in and now the cylinder wall is scored...but what do you do. I have went back and forth and honestly got a little discouraged for a bit as to what I wanted to do next. After getting back in the shop, I decided to get the wiring addressed and do the dash at the same time.

Stripped the interior, got all the trim off the dash and pulled all the wiring out; what a rat's nest of wires and so many bunk connections and loose wires it's amazing the thing ran when I bought it. Felt good to work on it again!

Will be ordering up the wiring kit next week as well as starting a little fab work on the dash

IMG_1810.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

-
Back