725 Road Demon install

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
I thought I would try out the 725 Road Demon on my hot street 318. My brother had one brand new in the box sitting on the shelf, so why not try it out and see if I like it. This is the one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-4402020ve/overview/

What I had on there before was a single feed Holley 650 spread bore with a 1 inch square bore adapter:

IMG_0460_zps96606706.jpg

IMG_0459_zps51262b65.jpg

IMG_0461_zps2ffc3508.jpg

Throttle response and fuel mileage seemed to be pretty good with this carb. Overall I was very happy with it. However, I developed a vacuum leak which seemed to be a carb base gasket leak. While I had it off, why not try the Demon.

Knowing the reputation that Demon carbs have with metal shavings in a brand new carb, we decided to take it apart for a rebuild, and deburr and clean all the castings.

IMG_0435_zpsc8d29cfd.jpg

Upon removal of the fuel bowls, first thing we see, metal shavings imbedded in the gaskets!

IMG_0436_zps2dc46059.jpg

IMG_0437_zpsc257d811.jpg

IMG_0438_zps5076e1d4.jpg

Look at all the crap on these gaskets!

IMG_0443_zps2d7a83fb.jpg

Here is everything cleaned, deburred, all holes chamfered, threads tapped, rough edges filed, etc etc. I tell you what, we found ALOT of metal shavings everywhere. In the metering blocks, fuel bowls, main body etc.

IMG_0454-1_zpsbc4bf48a.jpg

IMG_0456_zps70be0029.jpg

Now that it's all back together, for the install I needed carb studs, a new dual feed fuel log, float bowl/metering block gaskets and a gauge!

IMG_0458_zpsbd15a4d6.jpg

Here it is installed, I had to shorten my existing fuel line 2 inches where it comes from the pump, and put a 90 on the filter, and make up that short run to the fuel log using XRP -6 hose and fittings.

IMG_0462_zps340d0e03.jpg

IMG_0463_zpsc158d71b.jpg

I had to shorten the throttle cable and of course adjust the kickdown again.

IMG_0465_zpsb05f1b84.jpg

IMG_0464_zps65c6eb29.jpg

It is definitely more low profile than the other carb with the adapter plate.

IMG_0471_zps8e22e956.jpg

IMG_0473-1_zps734ce238.jpg

The engine seems to run even better and is also very responsive. I only drove it around for one day for a few hours as we just completed the swap.

One thing I did notice after installing the fuel PSI gauge was my fuel pressure! My mechanical pump has been putting out nearly 11 PSI at idle and would settle to 9.5. Most likely too high, as I recon this would force fuel past the needle and seat. I may try a different fuel pump or use a regulator.

IMG_0476-1_zpsb706d857.jpg

IMG_0477_zpsf44f6618.jpg

The pump I have is a Carter Strip Super Mechanical pump, which is most likely more than I need, or too much.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-m6270/overview/make/dodge

Anyways....I'm open to any thoughts, comments or suggestions you may have. :)

Nice post,318. Used to work for a Demon dealer,years back.The quality was hit & miss.You are the first guy,to actually post a thread with pics.(I've seen.). Thanks!

Sweet James, nice pics of the carb too. Also nice to see a Wix oil filter on that 318, good job! :D

Agreed.

Man, I can see why BG had such a rep problem. The Street Demon that I pulled apart was spanking clean and had traces of test fluid. Nothing like those gaskets!

Good call on the fuel pressure. Way too much for those seats. That would eventually flood, if it doesn't now.

I think it's better time and money spent on a regulator, so you can tell it what you want, rather than go with another pump, when yours is working fine. Just back it down with a good regulator to exactly what you like seeing and let it be.

Should you ever need another pump down the line, you can regulate it, just the same.

Cool. I just bought nearly the same holley carb but mine is the double pumper version. It worked great on my 318 in my 71 Dart 10yrs ago.

I'm getting ready to rebuild the dp.......won it on ebay for $54.

Sweet James, nice pics of the carb too. Also nice to see a Wix oil filter on that 318, good job! :D

Yep, Wix is all I run!

Agreed.

Man, I can see why BG had such a rep problem. The Street Demon that I pulled apart was spanking clean and had traces of test fluid. Nothing like those gaskets!

Good call on the fuel pressure. Way too much for those seats. That would eventually flood, if it doesn't now.

I think it's better time and money spent on a regulator, so you can tell it what you want, rather than go with another pump, when yours is working fine. Just back it down with a good regulator to exactly what you like seeing and let it be.

Should you ever need another pump down the line, you can regulate it, just the same.

What regulator what yall recommend?

Another thing after we put this carb back together, we couldn't get it to idle quite right, so after further investigation we notice the butterflies were hitting the baseplate, not being able to close all the way...-Something we didn't check during the rebuild. So last night I pulled the carb again, removed the base plate and adjusted the butterflies so they close, an no longer interfere with the baseplate! Another thing that was 'off' from the factory. lol

Now it idles like it should!!

+1

Yeah, the Mr.Gasket dial units are infamous for springing leaks on random units. I've never had one within any level of accuracy.

I just picked one of the Holley regulators up with a small 1 1/2" 15psi gauge for the Demon I'm getting the gear ready for.

-
Back