727/46re geartrain endplay to tight

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I believe thats what it is called. You assemble the planets on the shaft with all the thrust washers, and install the C-clip. Flip it all over and have the sun shell on the table, and then you put a feeler gauge between the very bottom sun gear and ensure there is proper play.

Well I can't even get the C-clip on! I have the smallest C-clip that is available as well. All the thrust washers are new. Am I overlooking something perhaps? Any tricks? tips?

wrong thrust washer? did you keep the old ones for comparison? Check if your kit contained different ones for different years maybe?

Michael

Its possible! My manual will tell you #2 goesnhere #1 goes here....but they are not stamped, or so they give the size the number represents. Anyone know where that info can be obtained?

I will check the old ones...never though of that haha.

Is the Sun shell bent? Did you put too much assembly goo on the trust washers? Are there any shims in the setup at all?

I vasalined them in no ensured the tangs were seated. The sunshell and planets are bought on eBay as mine were chewed up a bit. Anything is possible! I'll give it all a good look over. Anyone know what the number thrust washers mean in inches?

No shims, just the one on bottom on sun

The only selective thrust washer in the 727 is between the reaction shaft support & the high/reverse gear clutch drum. This is to adjust the end play in case. I dont have the measurement of the gear train thrust washers but I could grab one & measure it when I get into the workshop tomorrow. If I'm not mistaken they are both the same thickness.
Cheers. Gaz

Ok, so the 727 calls for steel thrust washer, the 46re calls for one that looks like one that goes ontop of the tear planet. If I do as the 727 calls for, I get .012 clearance....wtf?

Nvm...looks like that's what goes there, steel washer. Not sure why the manual shows otherwise....maybe beca it has the 47/48 in it as well...oh well. Got it figured out!

Thanks for the help all

-
Back