727/a833 spedo gear

-

Mopower71

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Are the 727 auto transmission speedometer gears the same as the a 833 gears?
Someone I know has the 3 different 4 spd speedometer gears(4:10/3.91/3.23) and I need to swap mine so it reads correctly with the 4:10 rear.

I haven't tried interchanging them but everything I read says they are the same.

BTW: you say your buddy has gears for specific gear ratios. That's not possible. Reason is tire height also affects what speedo pinion you need so depending on what the tire height is you may use up to 4 different speedo gears with the same final drive ratio.

Here's a link to a page that shows what speedo gear should be used with what tire and gear ratio combination.

http://www.mymopar.com/speedometer.htm

Thanks Fishy.
That link is some good information.
Let's just say he had 3 different speedometer gears for the 3 different rears he had for his Cobra. He had a set for each 3:91, 3:23, and 4:10.I don't know what size tire he was using.
Yes he had a COBRA kit car with a 340, A-833 4spd, 8 3/4" rear. He scavenged the parts out of the Duster he had.

Found out he was running 295x50x15, and I'm running 325x50x15.
If he has a 40 tooth gear it should be close.
We'll see when they get here.

A 39 tooth should be a little closer if he has it but really it could go either way (39 or 40 tooth) because speedometers as old as ours aren't perfectly accurate. I always use my GPS to test them afterwards to see how accurate they are. I got mine within 2 mph so I can deal with that.

-
Back