727 Auto tranny question

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
I've got a '70 Duster, with a 727 Auto trans, with a B&M Pro Stick shifter attached to it. Now, yesterday morning I went to go to work, and the car shifter cable snapped on the transmission nob(where it hooks up to under the car).

Well I fixed that, the cable is all connected, but the trans won't shift now, the stick shifts fine, and has resistance, and it was perfectly fine up until yesterday morning.

It's almost like it's stuck in neutral? and I try moving the tab by hand, and it won't budge. I'm pretty sure it was just over shifted in park or something.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to maybe fix it?

I disconnected the cable before and I tried moving the tab that the cable connects to and it won't budge.

The tab might just be stuck. Get both rear wheels off the ground then while you're under the car try moving the tab/gear selector back and forth as you're turning the drive shaft CW then CCW.

I've seen them stick before....no idea why.....The last post was a good idea.....Might save you some bucks to just get it freed up yourself.

In one of my old drag cars I had this problem ...it was a pretty old tranny....not much cash to work with back then......If memory serves, my old man tapped it gently with a small ball peen and got it moving as we turned the shaft to be certain it was free..........after that, it was OK.

the park rod could have slipped out.i had one do that a while back and the car would only go to reverse.whats wierd is my shifter cable broke at the same time....

O so I got it fixed. Now I just need to figure out the sweet spot for the bolts(the ones on the shifter cable underneath the car) if anyone bas pics, or something please post them here. It's a 727 behind a 318

Anyone have ANY advice on where those nuts should be positioned?

What nuts are you talking about? A pic might help us understand. If your trying to align the shifter my advice is put the trans. and shifter both in neutral then adjust the adjuster that slips into the trans. shift lever so it slides right in. Snug things up and run the shifter back and forth making sure it goes in both low and park correctly. Sometimes it may not go perfectly in either low or park so you have to adjust the adjuster slightly.

Can't take pics. No camera,. I'll explain it though. There's a metal braket or something that the shifter cable goes through under the car, it's attached to the Tranny cover. There's 2 11/16 nuts that are on the shifter cable. I adjusted those and the tranny started shifting again. But none of the gears were right. I kept adjusting them, and it's close, but the trans has a lag when shifting, and sometimes won't shift from 1st to second, or even down shift for that matter. But it goes into reverse perfectly.

On those nuts, one is toward the front of the car, outside the braket or brace(not really sure what it is) and the other is toward the rear of the car inside t.

Ok. Do it basically like I said to to do it in my post above. Put the shifter and trans in neutral and tighten the nuts so that it holds the cable in that position. Test it to make sure it goes in all gears correctly and fine tune it if needed.

-
Back