727 automatic to a518/618 OD auto. swap first time need help

-

73 Plymouth Duster

Reaction score
Hey guys so I love my duster and the 318 has some get up and go but the cost of the horsepower I put into it is about 10 mpg. I have a 727 in it right now and am considering putting in a 727 with an overdrive for fuel economy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TorqueFlite
this would mean the a518 transmission or a 618 for heavy duty
I dont really care which, i'm looking on craigslist and there are a lot of trucks being parted out that I know have the transmissions. but before I start calling around and making offers what is all entailed.
I firgured they are the same transmission just with an overdrive, so the bellhousing should bolt up the same? how about the kick down, shift lincage etc.
My primary concern is if it bolts right into the car AND can i use the same driveshaft or will it need to be shortened (I just had this done when I put in the 8.75, sorta hate to do it again)
any tips help thanks.

There is no bolt in auto o/d tranny the for a bodies, they're just to small in the tunnel area. The closest you can get to and with the least amount of work is a GM 200R4. Look up the thread by Mopar To Ya on his install of the 200R4 into his Dart Sport.
Now if you're willing the cut the tunnel (200R4 doesn't require tunnel surgery) why limit yourself to a 4 speed auto? Just a little more work and you can have 6 speed auto.

dude really what? I seached the pages for a question like mine at couldn't find any that matched so i asked my question. and I just skimmed through the link you sent me and I didnt see anything on a transmissin swap..so idk what that was for

and im trying to do this with minimal money, I would love a keilser 5 or 6 speed but i dont have 5000 to burn. I figure I can get a transmission from cl for 300 and wanted to know what my options are. ill check out the gm thread

so just looked around for it and I'm not sure what the sticky posts are and cant find anything on that GM 200 r4 install. This website isnt very user friendly and i dont use it that much

dude really what? I seached the pages for a question like mine at couldn't find any that matched so i asked my question. and I just skimmed through the link you sent me and I didnt see anything on a transmissin swap..so idk what that was for

and im trying to do this with minimal money, I would love a keilser 5 or 6 speed but i dont have 5000 to burn. I figure I can get a transmission from cl for 300 and wanted to know what my options are. ill check out the gm thread

so just looked around for it and I'm not sure what the sticky posts are and cant find anything on that GM 200 r4 install. This website isnt very user friendly and i dont use it that much

200R4 install.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333&highlight=200r4&page=2

-
Back