727 build parts

-

Thenwhat85

built not bought
Reaction score
Okay experience 727 owners. I'm getting ready to build up my 727 out of a 78 motorhome(hopefully it has the 4 gear planetary). This is going in my tube chassis duster. Looking to run high 9s. 4.56 Dana 60. Hughes solid roller cam. Leave on a brake. I know I want the bolt in sprag. Billet steel front drum (don't want to have to change fails all the time) and plan on using a tranzact low band brake. My question is what else will I need to make this transmission trouble free, and go rounds for years? Thanks in advanced

Attention to detail during the build, new bushings, pump gears, factory minimum tolerances; a quality converter, and a big cooler . The rest of the fancy parts can be googled about...

Use good quality friction discs and bands and kolene steels. Set the front clutch clearance to .065" to .080" and the rear clutch to .040" to .050". You may have to buy some extra selective snap rings to get these figures. Shim up the rear planetary gear train to .005" to .010"... Find out what front band lever transact recommends for their valve body and use it. As for the bolt in sprague, there are basic 4 bolt units and ultimate sprague's that are a higher quality and use more fasteners. Id' use a ultimate sprague for your app. Set the total and play to .015" to .030" if you can get it that tight. You use the selective thrust washer that slips onto the pump stator to set this clearance. Replace the rear servo with a good billet unit. There's a real good book out on 727's written by Carl Munroe. You can find it on Amazon for about $20. Has tons of useful information on how to build a mild to wild 727 and very well written with lots of illustrations

Thank you. I have a 727 book by sa and one that's a service based manual. Yes I was going to use the ultimate sprag. Have any of you used the fully loaded drum from crt. I was thinking about getting it seeing as it already ready to go.

-
Back