727 build-unable to adjust rear band

-

JelloB1afra

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm almost done building this 727, but I can't torque the rear band adjustment screw to 72 inch pounds. Its just keeps going, and I run out of threads.
I searched a few different forums, and post #9 of this thread was the closest I could find.
727 band strut install
Any simple but important thing I'm missing?

The lugs on my old low reverse band look a little bit shorter than the new one i have installed, so I might take it back apart and throw that one in to see if I can get the adjustment right. I figured I would check with you guys first. Also, the band strut measures 1.26"
I'll upload a couple photos, but I dont know if they'll help at all.

case and contents.jpg

low reverse band lever and strut.jpg

If the lugs on your old band are shorter, wouldn't the issue be worse with the old band?
i thought the same thing. i figured maybe i might have been sent the wrong band or something like that. i cant make out a part number right now so i might have to pull it to check. ill try to see if i can borrow a buddy's torque wrench to see if mine is not calibrated right.

What about the band strut? Is it in there ?
Yes, sir.

Did you put the strut in the correct way? Where did you buy the band?
i believe it's oriented correctly. long ways between the lug and lever. shoved it in there until it's held captive. stock strut (i think) that was in there when i tore it apart. I picked up the band from oregon performance. i'm not sure if the sizes of the strut change throughout the years.

low reverse strut.jpg

Last edited:
As a ck before taking it apart, see if you manually close the band ends and see if it will lock down on the drum. If it does, it’s not the wrong size.

Yes, sir.

i believe it's oriented correctly. long ways between the lug and lever. shoved it in there until it's held captive. stock strut (i think) that was in there when i tore it apart. I picked up the band from oregon performance. i'm not sure if the sizes of the strut change throughout the years.

View attachment 1715742820
Yes they do but not sure when that happened. The rear piston is different also. Kim

There are 2 different rev. Bands for the 727 single wrap band , band changed in 1991 model year.
Early band drum measures 6" in diameter, late band drum measures 6.250 diameter.
If you place the late 6.250 band on a 6" early drum you will not be able to adjust it because band is to long and you will not be able to take up the extra length with the stud adjuster.
This may be the issue, loose band should just clear drum if slid over it, .
Lon

As a ck before taking it apart, see if you manually close the band ends and see if it will lock down on the drum. If it does, it’s not the wrong size.
roger that. ill see if i can check that right now.

Yes they do but not sure when that happened. The rear piston is different also. Kim
i threw a billet super servo in there also.

There are 2 different rev. Bands for the 727 single wrap band , band changed in 1991 model year.
Early band drum measures 6" in diameter, late band drum measures 6.250 diameter.
If you place the late 6.250 band on a 6" early drum you will not be able to adjust it because band is to long and you will not be able to take up the extra length with the stud adjuster.
This may be the issue, loose band should just clear drum if slid over it, .
Lon
excellent. ill be able to pull some measurements tomorrow.

yup. i pulled the lever pin, removed the lever, and grabbed the lugs; they touch with a ton of room underneath in between the band and the drum. i must have ordered the wrong band. i should have checked first i guess. i wouldnt have even thought to check engagement if you guys didnt mention it.
the trans is a 76 casting, and i must have spaced when i ordered the band. thanks, dudes. i'll let you know for sure tomorrow what i find

Last edited:
pulled the trans apart, and what do you know. the new band is longer than the old one. you guys were right. hopefully i get this thing buttoned up for final assembly now.
thanks again.
6" vs 6.25"

I'll chime in here now and give my two bits worth. I don't know where or from who you bought the band from. But, had you purchased it from a TRANSMISSION PARTS SUPPLIER, the guy on the counter or on the phone would know that from late 91 and on, the band was different. Over the time I've been on this board, the number of times guys have gotten the wrong parts buying from a business other than those in the transmission industry is quite staggering. I'm not knocking the guys at the various parts suppliers, they've got a tough job, but they do lack the experience with transmissions. Can they get you the right distributor cap, brake pads, plug wires, etc., 95% of the time sure. When you're looking for converters and transmission parts find a company whose main business is transmission components, not car soap and detail wax. JMHO after a lot of years in the Automotive parts game. Don't phone a Ford dealer for a Mopar part.:lol:

Hey. Ain’t it great when you solve a problem?
damn right it is.

I'll chime in here now and give my two bits worth. I don't know where or from who you bought the band from. But, had you purchased it from a TRANSMISSION PARTS SUPPLIER, the guy on the counter or on the phone would know that from late 91 and on, the band was different. Over the time I've been on this board, the number of times guys have gotten the wrong parts buying from a business other than those in the transmission industry is quite staggering. I'm not knocking the guys at the various parts suppliers, they've got a tough job, but they do lack the experience with transmissions. Can they get you the right distributor cap, brake pads, plug wires, etc., 95% of the time sure. When you're looking for converters and transmission parts find a company whose main business is transmission components, not car soap and detail wax. JMHO after a lot of years in the Automotive parts game. Don't phone a Ford dealer for a Mopar part.:lol:
I understand what you're saying. I could have sworn I put the correct year range in there when I bought the kit. I didn't do my due diligence comparing the parts when I received them, however. O well, it is what it is.

Cheap parts from "Jine-a"...?
I know the Company I worked for and also our competitors never had any off shore bands. For new stock bands they were either Borg Warner or Raybestos (both OEM) for domestic transmissions. I can't remember who we bought our performance bands from, but they were an excellent product.

-
Back