727 build?

-

Erik Andersen

Putting ex drag car back to driver 69/GTS
Reaction score
I am looking to get a sb 727 built in the future. What would be the best tranny to find to build(year)? 416 engine 450+ hp 500 tq with 3:55 gears, 69 dart street car. What parts would be the smartest to upgrade also? I have 1968 727 already.

This question always comes with more question. Can/are you doing the work yourself? What's the budget? Realistically you have about a 285 horse power street car. Rebuild what you have. Match the convertor within the normal operating range that you are going to be using in the power band and enjoy.

This question always comes with more question. Can/are you doing the work yourself? What's the budget? Realistically you have about a 285 horse power street car. Rebuild what you have. Match the convertor within the normal operating range that you are going to be using in the power band and enjoy.

I have a friend that owes me a rebuild. His brother has a transmission shop so all I have to do is get the parts I want/need. The engine made 498hp and 520tq, solid roller cam. Peak tq at 4600 rpms so I was going to get a stall around there.

I understand what your saying about your horse power. I'm not trying to be insulting. However being realistic will bring you much more joy when your driving her. We all build 400+ horse and then go drive them on the street and never get out of the 285 300 range at most. It is better to set up a street driven car in the operating range and have pure pleasure. Now had you said street/race. I would have a different answer. There is no way I want a 4600 stall on a street car. Match it to your engine, trans, axle, tires, day to day operating range and the way you drive. It may be a little tamer but you'll enjoy it more, and a stock trans rebuild/refresh will be fine for your application. I'd be totaling guessing on about a 24 to 28 stall and that feels high in your situation.

Last edited:
-
Back