727 casting numbers help

-

bblock383

Reaction score
OK so I was looking at my 727 I got with my 360 and was wanting to make sure it came from a 360 or jot so anyone with decoding skills your help would be appreciated. Btw these numbers are not in the. Pdf that's been going around. Very close but not quite. Hopefully the pic shows up.

Attachments

• tmp_3790-20151018_175741-1958222444.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 303
I don't have any books that new. I did do a search of the part number PK4348783, and came up with this - 86 W-150 w/318 Engine.
The assy date 8755 = July 17, 1985 So it is from an early 86 model.

I was told it was an 85 model out of a truck so close enough but I was told it was a Trans from a 360. I have no way of verifying this without dissecting the numbers. It has the convertor and flex plate attached, is there any clues on those parts I can look at to know if they are off a 360? I know the 360 is externally balanced so there must be some weights on one of those parts correct?

I am not a 360 pro. I'm sure someone will chime in. I do believe there is a weight on the converter for the 360. There shouldn't be any difference in the transmission otherwise.

Ya I know the transmission is the same outside of the external balanced flex plate and/or converter. The guy I got it from said it came from a 360 and while he never said it was the factory tranny that came on that 360, I got the impression from that was the case. So if it is a 318 tranny, I need to figure out how to tell if the flex plate or converter are from a 360. Also would be interested in knowing where to look and what to look for on the converter to find out what the stall speed is.

The flex plate is the same as all other LA small blocks but the converter should have a big weight welded on the front of it. That weight is to balance the externally balanced 360. Here's a picture showing the weight at 12 O'clock. If your converter doesn't have a weight on it the 360 will vibrate itself to death

Attachments

• 360 torque converter.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 177
I'll have to check that thank you for the pic. Isn't this issue easily resolved by using a B&M externally balanced flex plate? It's the 3/4 circle zinc plated one they have.

Can anyone confirm or deny? If I have a 318 flex plate and converter would buying an externally balanced flex plate from say B&M fix my issue or do I actually need a different converter?

I'll have to check that thank you for the pic. Isn't this issue easily resolved by using a B&M externally balanced flex plate? It's the 3/4 circle zinc plated one they have.

Yes you can use the B&M flexplate instead of a balanced converter. IMO it's the way to go

-
Back