727 cooling line help needed!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
just ordered up my new trans cooler. here are my questions.

deleteme.jpg

1.) I plan to use the transmission temp. manifold in the picture above. where exactly should i plumb it in so that i get the most accurate temp reading?

2.) what size are the threads going into the trans case for the cooling lines? i want to run AN fittings and steel braided hose.

I believe the threads in the case are 1/8 NPT. I would put the temp sensor close to the oil exit line that heads to the cooler

The front line is the output from the pump. That's the one you'd want it in if you do it that way. Personally I like to use a port on the case like Tony did. Your sending unit should screw right into any of the test ports on the case then you won't have cut a cooler line and use that manifold. Like green1 said it may kill the flow.

the best place for a temp sensor is to put it in the pan. thats opperating tempeture. the front cooler line is the hottest oil coming from the convertor, not accurate. the pressure port shown in the picture is for rear band apply, also not accurate.

the best place for a temp sensor is to put it in the pan. thats opperating tempeture. the front cooler line is the hottest oil coming from the convertor, not accurate. the pressure port shown in the picture is for rear band apply, also not accurate.

Considering the case is made of aluminum which is a fantastic heat sink to distribute the heat fairly evenly throughout the trans I can't see how the temp at the rear band apply port would be much different than the pan temp. And consider this, the pan is hanging down in an area of air movement so it'd be naturally cooled and not provide any more accurate reading than the oil at the band apply port.

Considering the case is made of aluminum which is a fantastic heat sink to distribute the heat fairly evenly throughout the trans I can't see how the temp at the rear band apply port would be much different than the pan temp. And consider this, the pan is hanging down in an area of air movement so it'd be naturally cooled and not provide any more accurate reading than the oil at the band apply port.
yea thats good theory, but its the oil in the pan thats being sucked up to fill the convertor and apply the bands/clutches. i just don't like people sticking things into that port incase its too long and hits the servo piston.

yea thats good theory, but its the oil in the pan thats being sucked up to fill the convertor and apply the bands/clutches. i just don't like people sticking things into that port incase its too long and hits the servo piston.

Yeah you do have to watch that. I always measure before I put something into a test port.

There are a lot of pros and cons on this guys, and the pan has pretty much always been the spot for a temp sensor because the fluid returns to there after cooling and gives you a real time temperature reading of the fluid being used.
On the other hand being aluminum, the case is pretty darn close to that same temp since the fluid just got circulated all through it anyway.

A con for the pan is that it's a pia to put it in the pan and do a decent job of it where you don't have leaks.
A con for the exiting cooler line is as stated above in that you will get a higher than actual reading of the fluid that is running the trans.

Most any of the pressure ports would give a midrange temp reading, and I would personally use the accumulator test port because of the constant amount of fluid there during normal operation.
Just my 02

I personally use the return line, I want to know the effectiveness of my cooling system for the trans. When the trans is at operating temp my gauge shows around 180* to 200* depending on weather and how it's driven.

Just my 2 cents.

-
Back