727 doin the double bump!!!

-

towpainter3

Reaction score
ok gonna start off by sayin hello! Brad here on this end.
I need some help with a 727 thats doin something weird when it goes in gear.
heres the skinny, 79 727, installed the basic transgo shift kit in the valve body, did a few vent mods to help it stay water tight under 4 wheelin conditions, and cleaned her out good then resealed it.
this thing double hits when you put it in the forward gears, you can feel it take the gear then it bumps again.
hot or cold doesnt matter, it shifts like a champ , clean crisp bumps through all three gears with no slipping or weird noises.
i have double checked the kickdown and shifter , they are correct.
i guess i left out the fact it was good before i did all this cant recall it ever doing this. any advice or help on this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Brad

Welcome to the board Brad. Can't say I've seen one do that but since it shifts good once engaged and the rear clutch pack is what engages when you drop it in gear I'd guess excessive clearance or a leaking piston seal on the rear clutch pack.

Are you sure it is the trans and not the driveshaft moving? Sounds like to me the "slip yolk" may be tight or frozen up. You mentioned mud bogging, this is the only reason I say check the d.s.

checked that right off, thought maybe the transfercase was doin the nasty on me or maybe a ring gear. no such luck its the tranny. now to drop the juice box and get the reds. lol

Sounds like you have the usual "Chrysler Clunk" going on with the driveshaft slip joint. Damn near every Dodge truck has it. Lube it up and see if it goes away until the grease gets pushed out again.

-
Back