727 dust shield. Does anyone make a modified version?

-

Dartvader440gt

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts about the TC bolts hitting the dust cover and making crazy noise. I have a 360 with an aftermarket flex plate that is a little thicker than the original. As I turn the engine by hand I can hear the TC bolts scraping. Is there an after market version with a little more relief for the bolt clearance?

I've seen a few posts about the TC bolts hitting the dust cover and making crazy noise. I have a 360 with an aftermarket flex plate that is a little thicker than the original. As I turn the engine by hand I can hear the TC bolts scraping. Is there an after market version with a little more relief for the bolt clearance?
You more than likely have incorrect torque converter bolts. Torque converter bolt heads are thin vs the hex heads of common bolts. Have you verified what type bolts they are? A thicker flexplate will simply position the converter a smidge further away from the crank (into the trans) at least from what I’ve seen. And the dust cover (there are quite a variety) is installed with any ribbing protruding towards the engine, not towards the trans right?

Unless the shield is bent, I'd be worried that something more is amiss, and that if you hit the shield, you might also be hitting the block. Ran a variety of aftermarket race flex plates and never had a problem. Might want to take a close look at the whole set up.

Get the correct ARP flex plate bolts $$$ . Also as stated above there are two different covers for one for the 11 inch and one for the 10 inch converter. A thicker flex plate still keeps the same distance off of the crank shaft as mentioned so that is not your problem

They are the correct bolts. That I know. They are form the old converter. I am going to remove the shield and rotate the engine. As for the dust shield, I do not know which one I have. I got it from someone's old transmission pile.

You could shim the cover. You may only need a few thousands.
More than likely it is just bent .

Slip some flat washers behind the shield. Or do what I’ve done- pry bar out a bit and then bolt back.

I found the culprit. The shield was bent in one spot. You can see where it was rubbing. I hammered it a bit and now all is good again. No scraping. Thanks for all the help.

IMG_3966.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

-
Back