727 for my 383 Dart Conversion Question..

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
Meeting up with a local Mopar guy Sunday to look through his pile of 727’s to try and find a mate for the 1965 Newport 383 motor I’m going to drop in my 67 Dart. Need to find a 66 and up 727 so that it’s not cable linkage. He got these from his Dad so he’s not even sure what he has. He thinks a few may be from motor homes. Any things to look for? Pic of some of his 727’s attached.

F923C4CE-3FF3-4C76-A6A4-A19C06A30C95.jpeg

'67 and earlier cranks had a smaller convertor register, which required a smaller nose on the torque convertor. I'm not sure about the 727s, but I know 904s also had a different input & spline in those years which would not allow swapping convertors between the two age brackets- I would suspect a similar situation with the 727.
In other words, I believe what you're looking for would be a '66-'67 727 to mate to your '65 383.
If I'm incorrect in my assumption I'm sure someone will pipe up!

'67 and earlier cranks had a smaller convertor register, which required a smaller nose on the torque convertor. I'm not sure about the 727s, but I know 904s also had a different input & spline in those years which would not allow swapping convertors between the two age brackets- I would suspect a similar situation with the 727.
In other words, I believe what you're looking for would be a '66-'67 727 to mate to your '65 383.
Thanks Professor, Anyone know how to ID the trans I need if it’s in this fellas pile of 727’s?

Note all the part numbers on the driver's side pan rails, date codes are in the same line.

Passenger side stamp full or partial VIN on 1969 and newer automatic transmissions.

Partial VIN for some 1968 automatic transmissions on the top of the bell flange.

(Not all of the transmissions pictured are 727s)

Note all the part numbers on the driver's side pan rails, date codes are in the same line.

Passenger side stamp full or partial VIN on 1969 and newer automatic transmissions.

Partial VIN for some 1968 automatic transmissions on the top of the bell flange.

(Not all of the transmissions pictured are 727s)
Will do. Expect a list of numbers to be posted Sunday. Thanks fellas!

A single thread is OK, just ask about each one individually so anyone can quote your post about the trans they know something about.

Otherwise, it could get to be very confusing........

If your Dart is using the factory console shifter, you will need the right trans case (tailstock) with the bosses for bolting the bracket on that holds the shifter rob at it's bottom half. Not the biggest of big deals, but it may save you changing parts later on (or more searching). Most importantly, make sure you are getting one for a big block. If it's not a lot of travelling for you.... try and get numbers from the drivers side pan rail on some of the better looking ones you would consider... repost here, we can tell you much, much more about whats inside. HTH, Lefty71

If your Dart is using the factory console shifter, you will need the right trans case (tailstock) with the bosses for bolting the bracket on that holds the shifter rob at it's bottom half. Not the biggest of big deals, but it may save you changing parts later on (or more searching). Most importantly, make sure you are getting one for a big block. If it's not a lot of travelling for you.... try and get numbers from the drivers side pan rail on some of the better looking ones you would consider... repost here, we can tell you much, much more about whats inside. HTH, Lefty71
Fella’s! Here are the numbers on 4 different 727 automatics that I looked at today. If anyone can decipher I would appreciate it and your thoughts on comparability behind my donor 65 383 motor that is planned for my 67 Dart. (Column shift)

31D943FB-73FF-4645-B6FB-E84E6DE77540.jpeg

14FC6197-E073-4661-BF8D-ED514B89D915.jpeg

FD50DB1A-1A18-44F7-9E74-A30A67C056C1.jpeg

AD7F1421-DBD8-4FBA-BEF0-C93696EA8CEB.jpeg

AEB4206F-667E-4364-915F-DE65388A33A8.jpeg

Last edited:
Only thing I’ll add is that the 67 transmissions, at least the small block 727, had a so called mid year change. I have an original to my vehicle 67 and it takes the same converter as a 68-up. Might just be for the small block 727, the big block 727 maybe someone can clarify if there to was a mid year change?

Fella’s! Here are the numbers on 4 different 727 automatics that I looked at today. If anyone can decipher I would appreciate it and your thoughts on comparability behind my donor 65 383 motor that is planned for my 67 Dart. (Column shift)

View attachment 1715831554

View attachment 1715831562

View attachment 1715831563

View attachment 1715831564

View attachment 1715831565
Ok looks like the J2801543 is from 67 and was mated to a 383 2 barrel according to the list from Rat Rod Al and Lurk Dog. Any reason that couldn’t match up to my 65 Newport’s 383 and drop into the Dart?

Last edited:
From 78? Why do ya recommend?

Best internals.... I'd go this route too. I'll run the rest of the numbers for you soon, but you want to avoid the ones with small input shafts....

I built a '78 727 for my 383 Dart too.... here's how it turned out ;)

Dart GTS NORWALK.jpg

Best internals.... I'd go this route too. I'll run the rest of the numbers for you soon, but you want to avoid the ones with small input shafts....

I built a '78 727 for my 383 Dart too.... here's how it turned out ;)

View attachment 1715831790
Lefty,
What engine and trans did your car originally come with?

Lefty,
What engine and trans did your car originally come with?

383 with a 727 is the original combo for that car, it's a true factory BB Dart, although neither are the original numbers matching.. The originals are long gone....original 8-3/4" was changed out to a Frod 9" too. '66 vintage iron headed 383 with iron 915 closed chamber heads, super street fighter converter pushing a low gear set in a '78 727.

Maybe not a big deal, but also consider that the NSS/backup lights changed somewhere around 68/69.

2801543 67-68 383 2bbl ok, but lighter duty, narrow front drum bushing.

2961919 '70 Dodge light pickup, same as above and same as pass car application.

3410667 '70 C, E, and B bodies, same as above, except MOST likely to have console shifter bracket bosses on tailstock, which you may need.

4028824 '78 Big Chrysler, std performance. I'd look at this one carefully, as it may be a lockup valvebody. If a lockup, then I would change my answer to use the 3410667 instead. Count the splines on the input shaft to be sure...if a lockup, then there will 23 splines, the other three transmissions should have 24 splines, if no one has ever swapped out parts. Tough to know for sure without looking at them, as not all '78 transmissions were one or the other (lockup or non-lockup)

HTH, Lefty71

You're being given good advice. Use the later transmission as long as it's not lockup. The 71 and up transmissions had part throttle kickdown. Instead of having to bend the floorpan with the gas pedal to down shift, it will down shift part throttle. Just follow the advice. It's good advice.

You're being given good advice. Use the later transmission as long as it's not lockup. The 71 and up transmissions had part throttle kickdown. Instead of having to bend the floorpan with the gas pedal to down shift, it will down shift part throttle. Just follow the advice. It's good advice.[/QUOTE
Will the kickdown linkage on my donor 65 Newport (383 with the cable shift 727) work with the 78 trans? I know I will have to source some mechanical shift linkage as the Newport’s 727 is the cable shift. I will try and find a good home for the Newport’s trans.

Last edited:
-
Back