727 Identification - Help - 68 Barracuda 340 Block

-

Kevin Wallace

Reaction score
Belleville, ( Southern ) IL ~ St. Louis, Mo Area
I am Re-doing a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible with a Mild 340 V-8 Automatic … I am needing advice decoding a 727 Tranny that I just acquired to identify if I truly got what I am needing ( a small block 727 ) … the numbers on the side of the tranny case are : # 8933000918 … # 7899 … # 1382 … # 4202577-2 … unfortunately it currently has a 4x4 tail piece on it, it was rebuilt for a Jeep CJ? and it was never installed or used.

I would really appreciate any additional info on any other adaptation that I need to do since I am currently searching for an A-Body 8 3/4” Rear End and I think I need to get a modified yoke and / or driveshaft possibly ?

A couple of pics would be helpful, also...
That said, if it was an original 727 for a Jeep, it'll have the AMC bolt pattern bellhousing which renders it useless for a smallblock Mopar.
Chrysler built automatic transmissions, both 727s and 904s, for various other manufacturers over the years, as well as versions for their own use on small blocks, big blocks, and slant sixes which are all dedicated to their own engine family.
Sorry, I couldn't find anything on the numbers you listed, maybe someone else will have better luck. Chrysler numbers are stamped onto a pad just above the pan rail, usually starting with a "PK"...

That said, if it was an original 727 for a Jeep, it'll have the AMC bolt pattern bellhousing which renders it useless for a smallblock Mopar.
Chrysler built automatic transmissions, both 727s and 904s, for various other manufacturers over the years, as well as versions for their own use on small blocks, big blocks, and slant sixes which are all dedicated to their own engine family.
Sorry, I couldn't find anything on the numbers you listed, maybe someone else will have better luck. Chrysler numbers are stamped onto a pad just above the pan rail, usually starting with a "PK"...

79838EFE-D731-4FDF-A73A-01B5432A559D.png
7648613E-6904-4102-BD33-2972AB52BB0B.jpeg
F10FEE44-35BC-41A8-A0BF-E144C920B777.jpeg

AMC trans.
First clue is the passenger side starter mount- all Chryslers are driver's side.
Then there's the bellhousing pattern & mating surface. Not for a Mopar.

8933000918 comes up as 1983 AMC 358/360 SJ 4wd Export non Lu so as others have stayed won’t work for your combo.

-
Back