727 in a early A?

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I know it's been discussed before but I can't find the thread. If I convert to a 727 from a 904 in a early A what needs to be done? I know I've got to "modify" the pinch weld a bit. Do I need to change the shift linkage? I'm running the bouchilon kickdown also. Will these bolt up to the 727? Also Do I need a new mount?

I know it's been discussed before but I can't find the thread. If I convert to a 727 from a 904 in a early A what needs to be done? I know I've got to "modify" the pinch weld a bit. Do I need to change the shift linkage? I'm running the bouchilon kickdown also. Will these bolt up to the 727? Also Do I need a new mount?

Yes it fits I have one:

Linkage issues for shifter and kickdown, easy to fix
Cooling lines need tweaked or modified
"modify" the pinch weld a bit + some floor boards need a little tweaking too Mine was very tight.
Driveshaft will need cutting etc.
Backup light wiring
Speedo gear and cable mods.

Other than that, it should be a bolt in, just very tight and maybe your exhaust may need tweaking too. You can PM me if you like?

I run a floor shifter and a manual valve body , mainly because I like shifting and I like a very firm trans too.

But that should not stop you from either staying with the push buttons, or a colum shifter if that is what you want. All parts and combos can be built. Heck you can even stay with a ball & trunion 727 if you really like that too. I have done many 727s in early A bodies and had 3 diff racing transmissions and 2 street models in mine.

good luck. I think I covered the most points you will have issues with. You already know that the starter, upper bolts etc are just a tight fit and will take a little more effort.

take care!

thanks alot dave. You mentioned floor board mods in your post. I have already modified the driver's side for my bouchillon kickdown linkage will I need to massage some metal for the top side of the tranny too?

Yeah my tunnel was so tight it used to rub on the trans case on the passenger side . I had to take a large block of wood, big hammer and more or less raise the floor a little from the bottom side while being carefull not to dent or bend crease etc the floor. I also decided this last go around to make an access panel on the drivers side to allow me to adjust the band, change or tighter, pressure test line fittings, trans the shioft cable a lot easier. The panel is not et finished, I just have the opening. But I want a panel I can remove after the carpet is pulled back. So I am going to work on this some and reform the tunnel a little larger. I think you will see no real diff. once the carpet is in place.

It is just so hard to get to the lines, cable on the shifter etc on this car. And add to that the TTI headers collectors are right there too.

I will get some pics soon for you to see,

What engine are you running in the Dart of yours?

Rear end gears etc?

-
Back