727 issues

-

Phil69dartGT

Reaction score
Hi, kinda a strange deal and been reading and messing around with it for awhile now scratching my head. Was column shift now B&M pro stick on the floor. Fluid level is a bit high but shifts well. Goes into park and holds. Reverse works properly. Shifts hard 1-2. Shifts decent 2-3 but that is where it's strange. If it click shifter from 2 into D it does not shift into 3rd. If when wanting to go from 2 into D I have to push it forwards into N and it shifts into 3rd really well. I can click it back and fourth from N to D at that point with no change. I just am cruising in 3rd. It's like neutral is not there and I gotta put it there to get it shift into 3. The only way I can get it to shift into neutral is to hit it from either the park or reverse position. Real strange. Long story sorry. Hope that makes sense. Any help appreciated. Car functionally can operate but its tricky and annoying. Car is 69 dart w/ 383 and 727.

Sounds like a possible shifter adjustment issue. How did you adjust it? I always adjust the shifter and trans in neutral. Is their any slop in the shifter? If the shifter isn't the problem I'd suspect an internal problem with the rooster comb/shift lever assy. They get loose sometimes and cause weird issues like that.

Thanks for quick reply. Honesty I bought this car a few months back at it shifted really well and normal. A few drives ago it began getting lazy with the 2-3 shift. I checked fluid level and it was low ( it has a slight pan gasket leak meaning to fix but want to figure this out before wasting time on that in case trans needs to come out ) topped fluid off and wouldn't shift still untill I accidentally went up into N and it hit 3rd hard. Repeated 10 or more times to confirm and yeah. Here we are. Shifter does seem sloppy around the D to N position. Kinda hard to tell which is which but when shifting up it does not seem to matter. When shifting from park down to reverse and N it is very distintave which is which.

Shifter does seem sloppy around the D to N position. Kinda hard to tell which is which but when shifting up it does not seem to matter. When shifting from park down to reverse and N it is very distintave which is which.

That sounds more like the internal rooster comb/lever issue. If it were the shifter doing it I'd think it'd be sloppy both ways. If you unhook the shifter cable you should be able to feel the slop in the linkage if that's it

I'll get under there soon and disconnect the shift cable and see if I can feel some slop. Thanks for your help so far. If that does not resolve issue is alright if I PM you for possible further assistance?

Sounds like a possible shifter adjustment issue. How did you adjust it? I always adjust the shifter and trans in neutral. Is their any slop in the shifter? If the shifter isn't the problem I'd suspect an internal problem with the rooster comb/shift lever assy. They get loose sometimes and cause weird issues like that.

Totally agree that it sounds like a misalignment of the shifter assembly somewhere.

First thing I'd do is to put the trans in neutral with the linkage disconnected at the trans, and then make sure the shifter is also in neutral and see if they line up. (as in literally the shifter pin falls into the linkage arm with them both in neutral)
I'bet you anything that the cable and trans lever are a bit off from each other when they are both in the neutral position but disconnected from each other. (about 1/8-3/16 from the sounds of it) :-D
Let me know how far off I was when you get it done.

Same thing basically that Tracy said about adjusting linkages in neutral, just a little more long winded for certainty of understanding how important that comment was.

That sounds more like the internal rooster comb/lever issue. If it were the shifter doing it I'd think it'd be sloppy both ways. If you unhook the shifter cable you should be able to feel the slop in the linkage if that's it

Linkages can bind and not slip in one direction, but slip in the other.
His might be loose at the adjuster and "climbing" up the shifter adjustment if it's not a threaded shaft type adjuster assembly.
Or could be the lever is moving on the shift shaft on the trans.

If it's the comb inside the trans the lever on the shift shaft should slop around a little, so it should be easy to diagnose if it's internal or external by checking these things.

Sound about right Tracy?

Thanks for input TrailBeast I will try that procedure this weekend and see what I come up with. I will certainly let ya know. Really appreciate the help guys.

If I remember correctly its a threaded rod with two jam nuts on each side of the bracket. I assume once it's all loosened up and shifter and trans are both in neutral it's just a matter of thigtining up the jam nuts on each side of the bracket untill tight while maintaing the pins position in relation to the hole it drops in?

If I remember correctly its a threaded rod with two jam nuts on each side of the bracket. I assume once it's all loosened up and shifter and trans are both in neutral it's just a matter of thigtining up the jam nuts on each side of the bracket untill tight while maintaing the pins position in relation to the hole it drops in?

Mine is a threaded rod with a single jam nut on one side.
Some are unthreaded rod with a bolt that tightens into the rod.

There's a few different designs.

I'll get under there soon and disconnect the shift cable and see if I can feel some slop. Thanks for your help so far. If that does not resolve issue is alright if I PM you for possible further assistance?

No problem

Linkages can bind and not slip in one direction, but slip in the other.
His might be loose at the adjuster and "climbing" up the shifter adjustment if it's not a threaded shaft type adjuster assembly.
Or could be the lever is moving on the shift shaft on the trans.

If it's the comb inside the trans the lever on the shift shaft should slop around a little, so it should be easy to diagnose if it's internal or external by checking these things.

Sound about right Tracy?

I haven't worked on very many aftermarket shifters so I haven't seen one do that but I have seen cables act that way in other applications so it makes sense

Well I finally got under the car yesterday to address this issue and found this. HaHa think this might be the problem? Anyway, friend had a used one in an old parts car that was not in perfect condition but the price was right (12 pack of Busch). Installed, adjusted, and shifts great. Sorry kinda wasted you guys time on this one but really apprecaite your info. Suppose ill look for a smoking gun next time proir to posting a question.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 93
Well I finally got under the car yesterday to address this issue and found this. HaHa think this might be the problem? Anyway, friend had a used one in an old parts car that was not in perfect condition but the price was right (12 pack of Busch). Installed, adjusted, and shifts great. Sorry kinda wasted you guys time on this one but really apprecaite your info. Suppose ill look for a smoking gun next time proir to posting a question.

That'll do it. :-D

-
Back