727 Issues

-

dstan

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought an 89 d100 that had the 440 and 727 out of a 71 Coronet swapped into it. The other day I had pulled off the road for about a minute and when I restarted the truck and started moving again when it should have shifted into second it hit VERY hard and locked the drive line completely. Luckily I was only a mile from home and was able to lock it in first and limp home. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced something similar or if they knew what caused the problem. I feel I'll probably have to replace it since they can be picked up pretty cheap and quality mechanics are hard to find around here.

That's what I was afraid of. I had figured the rear end would go out long before the tranny.

I experienced the same symptoms in a 65 Barracuda with a 904. As soon as it shifted into 2nd the whole drivetrain locked up. Teardown revealed that the rear sprag (Roller Clutch) rollers looked like LEGO bricks & the inner race was toast. Unfortunately the case was also cracked & FUBAR.

I bought a different 727 and a 400 Chrysler for $300 today. Might end up making a budget 451 out of it and the 440 in my truck.

Why not tear the transmission down and repair it?

Why not tear the transmission down and repair it?

I contacted a few local shops and they all wanted at least $1000 to do a rebuild. I don't have the time to do it myself between school and my job, and $300 for an engine and tranny is about what it would cost me to rebuild it on my own.

I contacted a few local shops and they all wanted at least $1000 to do a rebuild. I don't have the time to do it myself between school and my job, and $300 for an engine and tranny is about what it would cost me to rebuild it on my own.

And you have time to build a 451?

And you have time to build a 451?

It's going to take me a while to save the money to build it and hopefully I won't be taking summer classes next year and will have enough time then. If i had the time i would love to do it all myself so I could learn how, but I don't have the time now so I'll end up paying someone else to do it.

It's going to take me a while to save the money to build it and hopefully I won't be taking summer classes next year and will have enough time then. If i had the time i would love to do it all myself so I could learn how, but I don't have the time now so I'll end up paying someone else to do it.

All you really need is one book. The ATSG Service Group book for the 727 and 904. They are very simple to build. I can do a basic rebuild on one in about 45 minutes on the bench. They are that simple.

All you really need is one book. The ATSG Service Group book for the 727 and 904. They are very simple to build. I can do a basic rebuild on one in about 45 minutes on the bench. They are that simple.

Good for you. I do not have your experience though so it would take much more than 45 minutes. I came here looking for advice from a community of car enthusiasts; not hostility from someone with an over execrated sense of self importance. So if you aren't gong to help I'll ask you to politely screw off.

Good for you. I do not have your experience though so it would take much more than 45 minutes. I came here looking for advice from a community of car enthusiasts; not hostility from someone with an over execrated sense of self importance. So if you aren't gong to help I'll ask you to politely screw off.

I was trying to point out how easy they are to build. There was no hostility at all. I have an extra copy of the ATSG book and Munroe's book I was going to offer to send, but I will screw off instead.

-
Back