727 low reverse band adjustment screw broken

-

rustytoolss

Reaction score
I removed the pan off my 727 to service it. And found that the rear LOW/REVERSE band adjustment screw was broken !! The section of the screw that adjusts the band was still there. And the lock nut was still tight. But the head of the adj screw was gone !!
Are the 904s the same ??
anyone know the proper length ?
Anyone got a spare 727 low reverse adj screw ?

Are you sure about that?
They don't have a head like any normal bolt or screw, and I can't think of what could possibly break it off (There's nothing anywhere around it to break it off)

Does it look like this?

Attachments

• TF01.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,067
  • TF03.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 464
Them buggers are hardened steel. I can't imagine what it'd take to snap one of them off!!

There are 2 band styles used in 904, the single wrap and the double wrap. The arm is different for them but I'm not sure about the adjuster.

Are you sure about that?
They don't have a head like any normal bolt or screw, and I can't think of what could possibly break it off (There's nothing anywhere around it to break it off)

Does it look like this?

I wish it looked like that, NO its broken, the head is gone. Broken at the top of the threads of the nut.

Are you sure about that?

Does it look like this?

I've only owned this things since last fall. This is the first I've been into the trans. A friend of mine used to run a transmission shop, he said he has seen a few that were broken. Go figure :(

Well, at least those turn free once the nut is loose so maybe adjust it if needed and start looking for a new one.

I'd bet Tracy has one for a 727.
Fishy68 is his username.

Just go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt the same size. Maybe even a set screw. You don't need a whole lot on it. Something like 72 inch pounds and back it off two turns. Probably close to the equivalent of hand tight. Of course it might already be a set screw. Which would appear to be a regular bolt with the head broken off.

Just go to the hardware store and get a grade 8 bolt the same size. Maybe even a set screw. You don't need a whole lot on it. Something like 72 inch pounds and back it off two turns. Probably close to the equivalent of hand tight. Of course it might already be a set screw. Which would appear to be a regular bolt with the head broken off.

If you could find a bolt that size and thread it could work.
Just have to make sure it wont rip into the filter whatever it is.

like leadfoot said, go get a grade 8 bolt at the hardware store... I had one break in my 904 (friday night, about 10 PM like always happens). I grabbed a grade 8 bolt from my bolt bin, and cut it to the proper length, ground a 1/4" square on the one end (so my square socket would fit over it and I could get my 72 inch pounds) and rounded the other end off so it looked like the stock one.

like leadfoot said, go get a grade 8 bolt at the hardware store... I had one break in my 904 (friday night, about 10 PM like always happens). I grabbed a grade 8 bolt from my bolt bin, and cut it to the proper length, ground a 1/4" square on the one end (so my square socket would fit over it and I could get my 72 inch pounds) and rounded the other end off so it looked like the stock one.

I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks All.

Can anyone tell me what the length of the threads is, and the overall length ? I'm going to get a allen socket head bolt. Thanks Guys (this is for a 727 low/reverse band adjustment screw)

sorry, I don't have anything apart to measure for you..... can you pull yours out and add 3/8" for adjustment?

sorry, I don't have anything apart to measure for you..... can you pull yours out and add 3/8" for adjustment?

That's close but depending on how thick the locknut is you may have to add a little more than that. Remember for the adjustment you tighten it down to 72 inch lbs and back it off 2 turns.

Rustytools if you want a factory type I have one I can send you. Just PM me. Naturally buying it locally will get you up and running quicker but the offer is there.

Sorry but I must have misread your original post. Could have swore you said you had a 904 :violent1:

-
Back