727 motor home

-

OCswinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, what mods (if any) would i have to make if i picked up a 727 out of a motor home and dropped it into my 72 dart with a 318? thanks jon

Depends on the motorhome. Maybe nuthin. Some motorhomes have the short tail shaft transmissions though. That would require changing the tail shaft out for the longer slip yoke type. If it's already a long tail shaft slip yoke transmission, it's a bolt in swap.

Yea, what he said :) The short ones have a big drum brake on the tailshaft for the parking brake. I changed one over once if parts can be found cheap the swap is easy.

great thanks guys!!!!!!, theres one on craigslit pretty cheap, ill have to take a look at the tail shaft.

That's a standard tail shaft 727. Go for it.

thanks!!!

2 things to note here after looking at the add.

1. He says it's rebuilt but it's filthy. Either he's lying, a very sloppy rebuilder (the kind I wouldn't trust) or it wasn't rebuilt recently. I'd ask more about it.

2. He says it's for a 318 or 360 and it comes with a torque converter. 318's and 360's use different torque converters due to the 318 being internally balanced and the 360 being externally balanced. If it's a converter for a 360 it won't work on your 318 unless you knock off the balance weight. It's an easy fix but I thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of it.

1. He says it's rebuilt but it's filthy. Either he's lying, a very sloppy rebuilder (the kind I wouldn't trust) or it wasn't rebuilt recently. I'd ask more about it.

2. He says it's for a 318 or 360 and it comes with a torque converter. 318's and 360's use different torque converters due to the 318 being internally balanced and the 360 being externally balanced. If it's a converter for a 360 it won't work on your 318 unless you knock off the balance weight. It's an easy fix but I thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware of it.

Excellent points, Tracy, as usual.

thanks fishy68, i will definitely look more into. I am going to stop by and look at it this afternoon. My plan was to have it rebuilt regardless of what he says, only because i rarely trust anyone on craiglist, plus that way i know what exactly is going on.

thanks fishy68, i will definitely look more into. I am going to stop by and look at it this afternoon. My plan was to have it rebuilt regardless of what he says, only because i rarely trust anyone on craiglist, plus that way i know what exactly is going on.

Your welcome OC. That is a great trans. to build on so you'll be fine.

-
Back