727 or 904 which way to go

-
i have a 727 that has been sitting for several yrs obviousily is goin to need rebuilt that a guy wants he is wanting to swap a rebuilt 904 he wants the 727 to put in his derby car which way should i go keep the 727 and rebuild it myself or swap and take the 904 my dart will see mostly street use with the occasional trip down the 1/4 mile.not building a super aggresive motor.
I'm old school , 727 stock can and will hande anything you can throw at it , only time they grenade is if you are doing a stage burnout and you have it in 1st gear , then they blow , just leave it in 2nd for the smoke out . The 904 can be built to take a v-8 these days , but why spend the money , shift kit and a 727 . I've put well over 100,000 miles beating the crap out of 727's off road and on 1/4 mile tracks , never a problem . Can't say the same for 904's , but that was back in the 70's so maybe the parts were not as good .
Any how good luck , like you I just have fun with the car and I want it to last , if I were racing maybe it would be different .

the 904 would have only needed upgraded band and steel/disc. ...the transmission does not need anything for an external balance...the flexplate or converter needs weights for the external balance not the trans.

i hope CRT sends you a jar of assembly lube also...

I am currently using 904 in my 3 race cars...one trans has been in use since 1993 with only one rebuild....and they have nothing but alto clutches and kolene steels along with a kevar band...and the front drum spring kit...that is it...
Sounds like your 904 is built , but how many miles on it ? Is it strictly a race car , or does it hae street miles on it as well ? Not many miles in 10 years if it's done at a 1/4 mile at a time , though they can be hard on the transmission . That and race cars tend to be maintained to a higher standard than the average car .

Lube ready and waiting .

Spoke too soon about Cope. Thought it was $155 to the door as that's what was on the invoice and what I thought I authorized on the web store. Showed up with an additional $18 added to ship a 5 pound package ground rate... and no lube for me!

-
Back