727 problems

-

dstan

Reaction score
Last fall my 727 dumped all it's fluid while I was driving down the highway. Over the past few months I rebuilt and replaced the front main seal in the transmission as I thought that was the issue. I broke the cam in today and when I finished I saw that there was nearly a half gallon of atf puddled under the car that had obviously come from the bellhousing. Since the transmission doesn't pump while in park would this mean that the torque converter is broken and dumping fluid as it spins? Or should I look elsewhere for the problem?

Over full pushing out the vent?

Also a good idea especially on a fresh build to make sure car is in neutral with "rear of car on jack stands just in case" when you fire it to make sure fluid is circulating.

A cracked hub on the converter will dump some fluid, been there lol

I had the tranny and torque converter off. I didn't see anything that looked wrong to me, but I am new on the car scene. It has a +2 oil pan and I had put 6 or 7 quarts in it. I'll try running it in neutral and see if it leaks once the oil is pumping.

As long as the engine is spinning the torque converter, the pump is pumping fluid. Having it in Park just routes the fluid in a different path than when in Drive, etc.

I had the tranny and torque converter off. I didn't see anything that looked wrong to me, but I am new on the car scene. It has a +2 oil pan and I had put 6 or 7 quarts in it. I'll try running it in neutral and see if it leaks once the oil is pumping.

The fluid always pumps, but it just doesn't circulate.
Any time the engine is running so is the pump, so even though fluid isn't running through everything like in neutral there is still pump pressure.

Low fluid can cause aeration of the fluid and it can foam up causing it to come out the vent.
A bad seal between the seal and the pump.
A cracked converter snout
A crack where it is welded to the converter body.
Loose pump to case bolts (but you had it out and back in)

Those are the main possibilities.

TB has it narrowed down. I only saw this on a dye pen test, otherwise invisible. My friends big block Dart disappeared behind a James Bond style smoke screen at 70 mph on the autobahn.

30207800ou.jpg

-
Back