727 question?

-

dusterduane

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1973 360 for my duster and im looking at a 727 trans with a 3500 stall converter that was on a 318. The torque converter looks like there is weights on the outside around the converter. I was just wondering if theres anyway to determine if this is for the 318 or a 360? Will i need to remove all weights and purchase the flexplate?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Duane

The weights on the outside of the converter simply balance the converter "neutral" like tire/rim wheel weights. The weights on the front of the ring gear are "engine" balance weights. B & M makes a flex plate for the 360 which will allow you to run a neutral balance converter. Its a good purchase and SFI approved. [summit or jegs]
The Demon shown is a 360, with a 904 and the B & M flex plate. Look closley, a young lady drives this car for our High School. She is the current HS drags "Champion" The rules state, no car may run faster than 12.00....so she starts off in second gear..thats right, second gear. To present she has [durning TNT] run 11.83 @ 114! She is also a former "junior dragster champ!] She is cool as ice behind the wheel! A darn good driver!

Attachments

• Cora Thomas #2 fall 2010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 122
ok thanks,
so there should not be weights on the the ring gear side of a 318 trans??
One more question i noticed the torque has the ring gear welded to it but with the flexplate i looked at buying came with the ring gear as well. So how would i use the full kit when the ring gear is welded on the converter?

I'm doing my first car and im only 24 years old so i have lots of qestions.
I have a 76 space duster with white interior, bucket seats console shift, and folding rear seat, was a /6 car i got a 73 360 with a 8.75 rear end, 3.91 gears limited slip, 727 trans with a 3500 stall, Thermoquad 4 barrel dome just need the carb. Trying to make the car somewhat origional.

Thanks Again

Duane

The weights on the outside of the converter simply balance the converter "neutral" like tire/rim wheel weights. The weights on the front of the ring gear are "engine" balance weights. B & M makes a flex plate for the 360 which will allow you to run a neutral balance converter. Its a good purchase and SFI approved. [summit or jegs]
The Demon shown is a 360, with a 904 and the B & M flex plate. Look closley, a young lady drives this car for our High School. She is the current HS drags "Champion" The rules state, no car may run faster than 12.00....so she starts off in second gear..thats right, second gear. To present she has [durning TNT] run 11.83 @ 114! She is also a former "junior dragster champ!] She is cool as ice behind the wheel! A darn good driver!

The ring gear should be on the converter. Get a B&M 360 flexplate and save yourself some headaches.

If you can find a 904, the car will be faster.

i have the B&M plate on my 360 with a 318 converter works great good buy.Has 2 sets of holes for a smaller converter.

-
Back