727 shifting issues , need help

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys , I got a tci 727 in my dart and its been acting up . Just wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction of what's wrong with it . Basically 1 to 2 upshift works and so is the down shift from 2 to 1 . But it never wants to go in 3 anymore , the rpms just keep on climbing and its stuck in second . The trans has new fluid in it , linkage is not bent or anything . Does this mean that the bands are wearing out or my valve body is shot and I need a rebuild ? Any ideas ?

Thanks
Peter

Check fluid level first if okay make sure fluid doesnt have a burned smell to it. Also does it shift the 1-2 late like @ 28-30 mph? Linkage may be too tight. You can undo linkage and see if it goes into third, if so detent needs adjustment.

Hey thanks for the response . The fluid level is ok its got a little rear main seal leak , so I always try keeping it at the right level. It does not seem to have a burning smell to it either . 1 to 2 shift is a lot lower than that speed its at like 15 to 20 mph I would say . Sorry I'm not that knowledgeable in this what's a detent ajustment ?

Hey. Yep in neutral , and when its at operating temp . And yes reverse works great . All gears work pretty well besides third gear. I have the b and m star shifter and I can't get it to go in to third in the slap shift mode either .

I'd look into the valve body. Maybe the 2-3 shift valve has some crud in it and got it jammed. Drop the valve body and make a clean place on a work bench to lay everything out. Go valve by valve until you have it completely disassembled and clean everything good and make sure none of the valves hang up then put it together making absolutely sure you get everything back in it's perspective place. If you haven't done one before you may want to take some pics as you go so you get the valves and springs all back in correctly.

Thanks for trying to help out . I heard that there is a posibility of some crud getting in the valve body and messing it up. I've never pulled one of those. So I'm kinda skeptical ill be able to do it haha. Sounds like its pretty easy to mess it up . Do you think it could be anything else that could be wrong with it?

No. Surely nothing any easier than doing a valve body which is one of the first and easiest things you check. A valve body is kinda easy to mess up because some valves will go in 2 ways. If you take your time taking it apart and either take pics or draw a good diagram so you get it back together the way it came apart their nearly fool proof. It's the guys that think they can just yank it apart and pile all the parts in a big pile and get it back together that have issues.

-
Back