727 shifting linkage adjustment?

-

ltrripp11

Reaction score
gentleman

I have a 3 speed 727 tranny in a 72 340 duster. the adjustment rod from the tranny to the carb linkage is adjustable of course up at the carb. i assume (depending on where its set at) it will tell the tranny when to shift and at what rpm?? is that correct?? if so which way would you turn the rod for a later higher rpm shift... back towards the firewall "in" or towards the front "out"? i ask this because after doing the motor over and changing the carb etc it does not give the same solid second gear bark as it did before the rebuild.. "and its not for lack of power" with another 122 hp this should not be?? im thinking maybe its out of adjustment but need to be educated on it. thanks.

You are talking about the kickdown mechanism. There is a procedure for adjusting it which I believe calls for the kickdown lever on the tranny to be at the full range of motion (can't remember which direction it goes) with the throttle wide open. This is not a shift adjustment point. All other adjustments are internal to the tranny.

.........Turning it out will delay the shifts.........what u need to do is ajd the linkage to near zero play with the carb at wot[not running ofcourse].......take 4 a drive , then adj if needed....................kim......

-
Back