727 speedo seal turbo 400

-

skep419

No show, all go!
Reaction score
i read somewhere you can use a turbo 400 seal and it works better. I've ordered a couple from the local parts store and they didn't work.
anybody had success and what part number did you use?

I'm gonna have to watch this thread. My speedometer adapter has dripped for ever. I've tried new o rings and silicone too.

i read somewhere you can use a turbo 400 seal and it works better. I've ordered a couple from the local parts store and they didn't work.
anybody had success and what part number did you use?

I'm gonna have to watch this thread. My speedometer adapter has dripped for ever. I've tried new o rings and silicone too.

If I remember correctly the 400 uses a seal with metal reinforcement inside it, and they do work, but only if your speedo gear shaft isn't grooved.
I just put 2 standard seals stacked for grooved shafts, and a slightly larger O ring on the gear housing with just a light film of RTV on the case and then tap the gear housing in.
If you don't have the retainer for the inner seal, a coil from an appropriate size spring can be cut and used for that.
You'll want to make sure the ends of the cuts are smooth enough to not scratch the aluminum housing.

If I remember correctly the 400 uses a seal with metal reinforcement inside it, and they do work, but only if your speedo gear shaft isn't grooved.
I just put 2 standard seals stacked for grooved shafts, and a slightly larger O ring on the gear housing with just a light film of RTV on the case and then tap the gear housing in.
If you don't have the retainer for the inner seal, a coil from an appropriate size spring can be cut and used for that.
You'll want to make sure the ends of the cuts are smooth enough to not scratch the aluminum housing.

the parts store had another seal. stacked them. found a bigger o-ring to try (had to tap it in instead of sliding in nice. going to be a bxxch to get out)
I'll check it when I get home from work.
thanks

so far so good.

8E07855E-63AB-4DD0-A4A7-75C298D6C0BD.jpeg

I used to use turbo 350/400 seals but they changed the way they make them and the last ones I got wouldn't drive in. The older style was metal with no covering. The new style has a rubber coating over the metal and for the life of me I couldn't get it to go in so I used a slightly fatter o-ring and it hasn't leaked since

-
Back