727 speedometer housing

-

1994redram

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty bad leak coming from the speedo housing on my 727. I bought the trans as a low mile rebuild. I installed it over a year ago when doing a slant 6 to V8 swap. The speedometer hasn't worked since. I ordered the correct 36 tooth red gear to match the 3.55 gears and a seal kit. It had a 28 tooth blue gear in it.

My problem is that the housing isn't marked to show the proper way to clock it. It only has 21/25 on it. Do I need a different housing or is this one fine?

There should be 3 different sets of number ranges on it, for the correct amount of teeth you are installing.

Here's a picture of a corroded one, but might help you. The numbers you want should be at 6 oclock position.

IMG_1968.jpeg

IMG_2140.jpeg

Last edited:
Just stick a little screwdriver in the speedo gear and make sure it doesn't turn. If it does, just turn the housing until it stops, then back it off to the nearest retaining slots.

I bought the correct housing from Locomotion already. But I took a pic of my housing. After talking to him and searching around some, it looks like I have a 25 tooth and lower housing. I need the common 26 and up housing.

20181111_122233.jpg

I bought the correct housing from Locomotion already. But I took a pic of my housing. After talking to him and searching around some, it looks like I have a 25 tooth and lower housing. I need the common 26 and up housing.

View attachment 1715247977
Hi
Have 727 (TCI StreetFighter Transmissions 111100 https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/tci-111100) and struggling to find the correct gear housing, can you please share the number (or producer) of this part to buy it? I've contacted directly tech support of TCI but the reply was "we have no housings for 727 TF and have no tech details on the housing to find an analog". thanks a lot in advance!

I bought one used. I don't think they are available new. Make a wanted post and I'm sure someone will have one by the end of the day.

-
Back