727 swap in an early valiant need tech help!!!!

-

Hemikiller

Reaction score
I am going to swap out my slant six for a 318 in my 66 wagon. I got the goods for the motor swap. Has anyone put a 727 in the early A? I know the drive line needs to be shortend but will it clear the firewall and will the crossmember need any adjusting and will all the shift linkage work from the slant 904? Does anyone have any recomandations on headers or manifolds that will work good for exhaust? Thanks for any info!!

IMG_0194_1_3_1.JPG

It is just tight on the firewall and the hump towards the firewall. You may have to fold over the body seam lip for more clearance, other than the shaft length you should be OK.

Are you doing a fully auto shift trans? If so you need the linkage too for the kick down. and the shifter and I think all the 904s linkages should work and have enough adjusment in them to fit a 72 in your car?

The kick down iconsist of the plate on the back of the drivers side head, upper rod with card linkage adjuster and lower rod and the bell crank.

Since the valve bodies are the same in a 904 and 727 you should be able to find the shift linkage at any local wrecking yard. And there are 2 pieces on the trans to. One for the shifter, and one for the kick down. Snag these levers too

I have the plate and I think the kick down rods, if intrested PM me.

Dave

Man, that's a SWEET wagon! Can you use the 318ci with the existing 904 transmission?

Don

Thanks for the input. The 904 behind the six won't fit they are different for a v8 or because the 727 was part of the deal when I bought the motor free is always a good price.

-
Back