727 Tailshaft bushing

-

Thomas Davey

Reaction score
Hi Folks!

Just bought a seal and bushing kit from a local parts store. I see the bushing has a longitudinal seam due to the roll forming process. Is this OK for a performance 727? Is there a manufacturer that offers this bushing seamless? The seam would be on the bottom of the transmission away from the fluid feed channels. Non of the manufacturers elaborate on how they make theirs. Thanks!!!

Hi Folks!

Just bought a seal and bushing kit from a local parts store. I see the bushing has a longitudinal seam due to the roll forming process. Is this OK for a performance 727? Is there a manufacturer that offers this bushing seamless? The seam would be on the bottom of the transmission away from the fluid feed channels. Non of the manufacturers elaborate on how they make theirs. Thanks!!!

No seamless bushing for the tailshaft housing for TF's that I know of, but you probably noticed how they interlock the seam.
Once pressed into place the seam is well supported.
I also don't remember ever seeing one that was trashed because it had a seam either, unless it had a severely out of balance driveline and was driven that way for awhile.

Thanks Trail!!!
I think you're right. Bushing area is quite large and the seam will be compressed more when installed. I'll go with what I've got!! Thanks!

I have changed a few of them, any replacement one that I have seen has been seamed. BTW, 4 speeds use the same bushing. Other than wearing out from hundreds of thousands of miles I have never seen one fail.

Been rebuilding them since 1981 and all were a seam type bushing. Very seldom run into a bad one, like TB said

Does the bushing need to be burnished/reamed to correct size after installation. I ask because after my 4 speed trans was rebuilt, the driveshaft yoke was too tight to slip on the trans tail shaft. I ended up removing a few thousand off the yoke to make it fit. So much for a trusted transmission shop, you'd thought they would know better.

If it is installed correctly and not cocked or damaged it should not. The same goes for your 4 speed. My guess is they messed up the new bushing.

Clean everything well, polish out any blemishes or high spots, freeze the bushing and warm the tail housing, put a little lube on bushing and bore, be sure it is aligned properly and use a good press and properly sized pressing plug to put it in.

If it is installed correctly and not cocked or damaged it should not. The same goes for your 4 speed. My guess is they messed up the new bushing.

Clean everything well, polish out any blemishes or high spots, freeze the bushing and warm the tail housing, put a little lube on bushing and bore, be sure it is aligned properly and use a good press and properly sized pressing plug to put it in.
Thank you for your help.

I agree with Dave. I only ever had a problem with 1 after installing it. That was a long time ago and I didn't have the right size bushing driver and tried to use a socket. It folded the edge a little right where the yoke slips in so I was able to trim it with a knife. After that I bought a nice big bushing driver set so that didn't happen again

-
Back