727 TF-2 Users

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Would like a few conformations from you guys that have installed the Transgo TF-2. Just to let ya know, I have read all the past threads and the installation guide abut 4 times "slow time". It seems pretty straight forward overall.
Now without my trans apart at this time "I" believe it's a 72...until I take the valve body off to really know for sure! . If so, it would have a 3-2 part throttle assembly.
#1. I would like to know if I should install the "black spring" that eliminates part throttle 3-2 shifts above 40MPH? (I don't have a clue).

Also, I'm not putting in the SHIFT COMMAND (as I have read about)

#2. If I read correctly, "I" still have to grind down the throttle valve "correct"

If this helps to know, 318 /360 heads, 2500 stall and 3.91 gears. (just fun street stuff) for say. No strip??
Thanks, I hope I won't have anymore questions until it's together ready for setup.
jim

If I remember correctly you do have to grind down that valve if your putting in the shift command.
Is that black spring the one that is roughly an 1-1/2" in Diameter that replaces the servo spring? Then yes replace it, the other springs should be color coded and the instructions should tell you what color spring goes where.
I would have a can or two of brake cleaner or 2+2 on hand and clean the valve body real good of any dirt in there, and keep track of what ball bearing goes where.
Check for the updates from TransGo, I got a seperate sheet in my kit that explains about a shuddering that feels like it's coming from the dash area, follow those instructions. I didn't finish my car yet but I'm going to use either the sure grip additive or the Mopar ATF+4 fluid which should eleiviate the problem.
THe TF-2 seems to be the popular kit to install, and I thought it was fairly easy.

whitey said:
If I remember correctly you do have to grind down that valve if your putting in the shift command.
Is that black spring the one that is roughly an 1-1/2" in Diameter that replaces the servo spring? Then yes replace it, the other springs should be color coded and the instructions should tell you what color spring goes where.
I would have a can or two of brake cleaner or 2+2 on hand and clean the valve body real good of any dirt in there, and keep track of what ball bearing goes where.
Check for the updates from TransGo, I got a seperate sheet in my kit that explains about a shuddering that feels like it's coming from the dash area, follow those instructions. I didn't finish my car yet but I'm going to use either the sure grip additive or the Mopar ATF+4 fluid which should eleiviate the problem.
THe TF-2 seems to be the popular kit to install, and I thought it was fairly easy.

Pic #1.
My direction's have a pic of "two" valves to grind down..(1) throttle valve, and the other (2) 1-2 Gov. If I'm correct and don't want "shift Command", I don't touch/grind the 1-2 Gov but still have to take down the throttle valve "yes"?? :scratch: (directions not that clear).

Pic #2
Shows the 3-2 Throttle assembly. Not part of the servo spring (I think). This is where I don't know if I should install (the black spring) to eliminate part throttle shifts above forty MPH ?? Should I...yes/no?? :scratch:

Pic #3
Shows a "Bonus Pack" that came with the kit! Somthing for Drainback and Lube. It came with a new manual valve. Has anyone gotten this kit as well and installed it? Good idea or leave it out. :scratch:

Sorry for all the questions...I would rather measure twice and cut once!! :-|

Trans1.jpg

Trans2.jpg

Trans3.jpg

I believe that bonus pack is a valve that allows the converter to fill and the pump to push fluid through the transmission while in park. If that is right then I would install that in a minute. That will allow you to check the fluid level in Park and lube the trans when in park too.

Dusterb318 said:
I believe that bonus pack is a valve that allows the converter to fill and the pump to push fluid through the transmission while in park. If that is right then I would install that in a minute. That will allow you to check the fluid level in Park and lube the trans when in park too.

Yep, that should be what that does. Also prevents converter drain back (when you let it sit the converter drains back into the pan. this would make it so that after sitting you would experience no movement of the car until it fills back up...which isnt too long, but still a 'might as well feature to install')

Cerwin said:
oh jim.. hows it coming? did you rip it apart yet?

Yoday perhaps., just for cleaning and i may take the throttle valve in for grinding :blob:

It's been a couple years since I put that TF2 kit in the 727 behind my New Yorker 440TnT, so I forget some of the details. I do remember doing ALL the options though, mostly because I just figured more is better and if they had the option at all there must be a good reson for it. The results are great. Nice firm, quick shifts. That thing runs up to almost 70mph in 1st and chirps second with 2.76 gears in the 2-ton car. And the speedo reads 5lo at 70, due to the 16in. rims and 225/60 tires on it, so it's haulin' serious butt before it even hits 2nd gear. :rock:

-
Back