727 Torqueflite Output Shaft Question

-

d55dave

Reaction score
I am working on a friends torqueflite and have a question. What I am starting with is an early 80's non lockup 4X4 727 that has been built into a big block main case (the case is a 70 or 71 vintage). All the internals appear to be early 80's 318 truck parts, nothing special. The transmission was recently rebuilt and working fine, but needs to be converted from the 4X4 configuration to a passenger car long tailshaft slip yoke style for use in a 70 Barracuda.

I understand that the spline design on the front of the output shaft changed in 1976. I have a complete 1968 318 2 wheel drive truck transmission that I would like to use the tail housing and output shaft from. Can I use these in conjunction with the early 80's internals and earlier big block main case? What other parts do I have to swap along with the shaft and tail housing? I suspect at least the rear planetary, anything else?

Thanks for any help.

Case doesn't matter as long as it's a non lockup. Their all basically the same

All you need to use is the rear planetary, output shaft, and extension housing from the 68 trans. Make sure you check the end play on the gear train assy since your mixing parts. Usually isn't a problem but always good to check

Hey, thanks so much for the answer. I was comparing the parts and that is what I thought. Just want to make sure that I am not missing something else. Cheers.

Not rear planetary as I have been mentioning, it is the front planetary I meant that needs to stay with the output shaft. Was there any chang in the spline for the rear annulus gear?

Sorry Dave, I had a brain fart too. It is the front planetary that needs changed since it's the one that mates up to the output shaft. No change in the rear annulus, it's the same on all 727's

-
Back