727 Trans info needed.

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I bought my tranny used 10 years ago. It was a fairly fresh rebuild from previous owner and still going strong. I don't know much on numbers but have read there are early and later style 727's . Later style being more desirable? I have some (Lousy) pic's of #'s but was hoping someone could identify what year it is?

T1.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

T4.jpg

T5.jpg

Well, it was the 48th transmission built on Wednesday, April 5th, 1978. I can see that much.
So, definitely not an early style. I'd say it might be a desirable trans and could have good intenals, but, I can't really read the 7-digit identifier number that tells me more about the application.

***EDIT** There is a # 4058114. Looks like 400 engine with 4bbl, passenger car type, but for station wagon, not built for California (49 state). Doesn't look to be a lockup type trans.... so yes, excellent builder.

Last edited:
Early/late externally the same. Differences are internal, like valve body, planetaries, number of clutches.

Well, it was the 48th transmission built on Wednesday, April 5th, 1978. I can see that much.
So, definitely not an early style. I'd say it might be a desirable trans and could have good intenals, but, I can't really read the 7-digit identifier number that tells me more about the application.

***EDIT** There is a # 4058114. Looks like 400 engine with 4bbl, passenger car type, but for station wagon, not built for California (49 state). Doesn't look to be a lockup type trans.... so yes, excellent builder.
Bingo! I got a better look at the # last night 4058114 (1978 SW 400 4BC) got this chart also. Thanks
https://mymopar.com/downloads/transguide.pdf

Early/late externally the same. Differences are internal, like valve body, planetaries, number of clutches.
Yes. I heard the Later ones have better internals. Just want to know what I have as I may sell my ride next year.

212.jpg

Early/late externally the same.
A lot of folks consider '65 and earlier to be "early". Those are very different externally as well and a whole lot less interchanges with "late" trannies. Most common parts interchange on '71? and up.

A lot of folks consider '65 and earlier to be "early". Those are very different externally as well and a whole lot less interchanges with "late" trannies. Most common parts interchange on '71? and up.
Thanks. I also have a 1969 727 from a 383 GTS that was starting to slip when last driven. I'll be posting it for sale next spring once I dig it out of storage and confirm the numbers so I don't mis-lead anyone.

-
Back