727 trans

-

Kbharley

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a 318 in my 70 dart with a mild cam, swirl port heads, blah blah blah
It has a 727 trans and when I try to go into drive, reverse or 2nd and 3rd it just does nothing
No little nudge, or movement at all
I don't know what is up with it
Can anyone help?

Do the obvious first- check to make sure all your linkages are still connected. Then, fluid check. Make sure no one pulled a prank and jacked your car 2 inches off the ground-lol. Next- pull pan, sounds like you have a bad low/reverse band. Kind of strange that it did that without ever slipping before.

I've only had the car for a few months now
It has one of the BnM shifters with a cable that runs to the trans

I pulled the motor and trans yesterday, but havent removed the pan yet
It has fluid in it...
Someone told me it could be a clogged filter so I plan on checking that today

It could be a clogged filter but if it is it's probably clogged because the trans. is burned up. Too bad you didn't do any pressure tests before you pulled it. That would have told you a lot. My guess is it's either the shift cable broke, the front pump lugs are sheard off, the main line pressure spring broke, or the torque converter crapped out.

Do the obvious first- check to make sure all your linkages are still connected. Then, fluid check. Make sure no one pulled a prank and jacked your car 2 inches off the ground-lol. Next- pull pan, sounds like you have a bad low/reverse band. Kind of strange that it did that without ever slipping before.

It won't have reverse but will still drive forward if the low/reverse band is bad. It only applies in forward gears when you pull the shifter down into 1st.

If fails,pm TM hemi.Has a known working s.b.727 ,50 bones.Frt. might be pricey,still a nice price.

So if I decided to go back to a 904 what would I need to do the put one in?
Like tail shaft, drive shaft....
Or will it fit right in the 727's place?

So if I decided to go back to a 904 what would I need to do the put one in?
Like tail shaft, drive shaft....
Or will it fit right in the 727's place?

you can use a 904 , but , you will need to add 4" to your driveshaft or find another one. you will need the yoke. you will need the converter and flexplate. also if the new 904 verter has weights you must remove them.

I have a 65 barracuda that im restoring and need to know how to convert it from a cable shift to a linkage shift 727 transmission. Can anyone help?

I have a 65 barracuda that im restoring and need to know how to convert it from a cable shift to a linkage shift 727 transmission. Can anyone help?

Haven't done it myself so sorry I can't help but you need to start your own thread describing your problem, not try to tag onto someone elses thread. It's confusing to do that way and you'll get a lot more responses with your own thread. And it's considered "thread hijacking" to post a problem in someone else's thread. Good luck finding an answer to your problem.

-
Back