727 transmission questions...

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
I am wondering what all would I have to do to my 727 trans to make it handle 450-550 hp. Would I have to put in a reverse valve body or any major mods? The trans already has an older B&M shift kit in it from what the former owner told me. Anyways any help on this would be useful so thank you all and remember MOPAR OR NOCAR!

A quality complete rebuild with blue plates and Kolene steels would be a good start. Blueprint all the specifications per Carl Munroes book on 727 Transmissions. This book can be found on Amazon.com or e-bay for about $15. Do all the modifications he suggests. Install a 4.2 or 5.0 kickdown lever. If your front clutch carrier isn't a 4 plate unit replace it with one. You don't have to go with a manual valve body, that is your choice. A Trans-go TF-2 kit will do just fine. A bolt in sprag isn't an absolute necessity but a good thing to do. If you have the extra bucks do it.

Oh yeah. Don't forget the deep pan and extra heavy duty cooler to keep that baby cool and make her live long.

Ok thank you for the tips but do you have a price range for the items listed? Or the time of the re-build. I am a pretty good person with tools and directions so just give me the average build time on a transmission like that. Thank you for the tips and items and ideas !

Sorry but I haven't done one for about a year so the prices may have changed and I don't really remember what it cost to do the last one I did anyway. There are several places to buy parts from but below is a link to a place I have bought from that has good service and great prices. You can go to it and in just a few minutes get a idea of what your looking at. The only thing they won't have is the book I mentioned. They have books but not Munroes. His is the only one worth buying if your doing a performance 727 build up. If I were you I'd get it first and read up on what you need so your familiar before you start. The only exotic tool you'll need is a dial indicator with magnetic base for setting the end play.

Oh yeah. When your looking up parts. You'll also need a set of shims to reduce the end play in the planetary gear train. I may have forgot to mention that earlier. Their listed under the thrust washer section. Figure that in with the bill too. This is an important part of a performance buildup. From the factory they can have as much as .048 end play. That's alot of slappin happenin. It's important to get that down close to .010

http://www.bulkpart.com/

-
Back