727 Transmission shifts out of order?

-

joshcook81

Reaction score
Hi everyone .. Im at a loss, I can't figure out why my 727 transmission that i just installed to a 383 big block. I purchase from guy that said it worked in his car fine, just leaked out of the torque converter. I got it stop leaking but it will not shift automatically, I will put the car into drive and its acts like its in 1st gear , drive 2 in second gear and drive 1 in 3rd gear??? I can't figure out what's going on? Park, neutral ,reverse is all normal and working correctly. Please help..!!

A reverse shift valve body? So will that cause the transmission not to shift automatically?
Nevermind I just looked up Reverse shift valve body. That's a relief. .. I can live with a reverse shift valve body transmission , I think it will make the drive more fun. Thank you ScampMike

Nevermind I just looked up Reverse shift valve body. That's a relief. .. I can live with a reverse shift valve body transmission , I think it will make the drive more fun. Thank you ScampMike
I have it in mine - once you get used to it, it's a blast! Glad to help :thumbsup:

it a racy thing to keep you from shifting it into reverse on a run . put it on an aftermarket floor shifter and you pull back on the lever for upshifts away from reverse position .
05190025.jpg

Wow that looks awesome. . I thought the transmission wasn't shifting correctly , so I installed a dropdown linkage, Im assuming since the transmission has a reverse valve body, I don't need the dropdown linkage cable? Is that right??

on mine there is no kickdown linkage at all , just gear shift cable from the shifter itself , nothing coming from the throttle linkage to the trans at all .
Scan0046_0046.jpg

on mine there is no kickdown linkage at all , just gear shift cable from the shifter itself , nothing coming from the throttle linkage to the trans at all . View attachment 1714982388
Got it.. Im going to take out the linkage I installed. I thought the transmission wasn't shifting right because I needed a dropdown linkage. Then today trying to adjust it, I realize it was shifting the way it does with 1st being 3rd, but I truly thought the transmission was jacked up..Thank you guys for the info, its a huge relief ☺

There's only one possible disadvantage to a manual valve body. Not all (in fact very few reverse manual valve bodies) have low band apply. What that means is you have to be extremely careful with it not to downshift into 1st gear when moving. If you do you risk exploding the front drum. Some have even mangled people's feet from the shrapnel coming up through the floor. Not saying yours doesn't have low band apply but I'd find out if it were mine.

I like to revisit your statement in the original posting. "just leaked out of the torque converter. I got it stop leaking but". What was the issue and the fix you applied?

There's only one possible disadvantage to a manual valve body. Not all (in fact very few reverse manual valve bodies) have low band apply. What that means is you have to be extremely careful with it not to downshift into 1st gear when moving. If you do you risk exploding the front drum. Some have even mangled people's feet from the shrapnel coming up through the floor. Not saying yours doesn't have low band apply but I'd find out if it were mine.

Wow.. That's crazy, Im going to ask the guy I purchased the transmission from and see if e knows what band it is. I will make sure not to downshift into 1st. When driving the car i can put it into 3dr gear(drive 2) and it feels like I don't need to shift at all, I might try to drive around like that until I get used to the shifting patter. Thank you for the information fishy68

I like to revisit your statement in the original posting. "just leaked out of the torque converter. I got it stop leaking but". What was the issue and the fix you applied?
When I purchased the transmission the guy told me it was leaking from everywhere including the torque converter , and I replaced the filler tube o-ring and the shift lever seals, As far as the torque converter Im not sure why he said it was leaking because I haven't had any problems since I connected the transmission to the engine but I haven't really drove the car either.

Wow.. That's crazy, Im going to ask the guy I purchased the transmission from and see if e knows what band it is. I will make sure not to downshift into 1st. When driving the car i can put it into 3dr gear(drive 2) and it feels like I don't need to shift at all, I might try to drive around like that until I get used to the shifting patter. Thank you for the information fishy68
Glad to help. BTW: It's not the band that makes the difference, it's the valve body. The valve body needs to have "low band apply" meaning it will apply the band when in manual low, or in your case where D3 is.

-
Back