727 Transmission showing signs i need to get it in the shop, need a shop recommendation in Coachella Valley area

-

RatRod

Reaction score
I inherited this trans is in my 67 Dart and it has performed well up until yesterday. The trans normally shifts at 2000 rpm like clock work and always has since i got the car here in So Cal.

Yesterday I was driving home and had a stop light; when i started back up the shift from first to second was normal, right at 2000 rpm, but when it should have shifted from second to third, it didn't. At about 2500 rpm it up shifted to third and then immediately wanted to downshift back to second. It did go back into third and i got it home no problem. Also, it was the first hot day we've had this year and was mid 90's when this happened. When i got home I checked the trans fluid and it was at the right level and smelled and looked right, no burning or anything like that.

Dont want to do anymore damage and wanted to ask the forum if they could recommend a transmission shop here in Coachella Valley. There are alot of trans shops in and around Indio which would be a good location as it's fairly close to my house.

If you know a good one please let me know, alternatively if you know one to stay away from let me know that too.

Check the kick down linkage. A spring may have fell off and allowed the linkage to slide back causing your problem. Maybe this guy can recommend a place for you. @crackedback Kim

Last edited:
Exactly, have you been changing anything on the throttle pressure linkage or carburetor Linkage?

413 No changes what so ever.

I'll check the linkage in the morning to see if I'm missing anything. BTW the kickdown linkage has never worked so I'm going to a lokar kickdown and throttle set up next.

It’s not really kickdown linkage, it is called throttle pressure linkage.

look it over see if it intact or has a problem.

I found a tranny shop recommended by Brian, who is a contributing member to the forum. What I found in the mean time is the slippage was probably due to how I was driving it. Putting it in neutral at a stop light was the cause and the slippage was the effect.

I am going with lokar throttle and kickdown linkage as the stock linkage just simply won't work on my 360. Getting it installed next week.

If u can’t get stock linkage to work u don’t have the right pieces. Isn’t there a member close to u that cdd as n help u out. We have over 50,000 members. Certainly someone can help. Kim

I'm good actually, I'm not going to try and force a round peg into a square hole. The tech articles I've read also don't recommend the stock linkage setup for the very same reasons I'm changing it.

My Dart was the 270 model with the V8. This linkage that I have is for that smaller V8. The correct linkage geometry just isn't there. Might be able to play around with it like some like to do but that was not what I'm going to do.

Appreciate your wanting to help.

-
Back