727 vs 904 shift lever bracket

-

j_anderson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am finishing up the last few items in my build. One item I have left to resolve is the gear shift lever travel. I have a 1972 Dart which originally had a column shifted 904. After installing a 727, I was not able to get both park and drive 1 no matter how I tried to adjust it (I'd have park but no 1 or 1 but then no park). I had installed the 904 linkage not knowing it wouldn't work or that it was different until I came here and started looking around. Once I knew I needed different linkage, I bought and installed what is supposed to be correct for 71-73 column shift 727.

This is the 727 shift linkage kit that I bought. When I compared it to the 904 linkage I removed, it was all very different as expected.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.47.28 AM.png

The shifter traveling through the gears is much smoother now since the shifter has the correct geometry but I am still having an issue getting both Park and Drive 1 into adjustment. Before, If I had Park adjustment, I couldn't access drive 1 no matter what. Now, I am able to get to it but I have to pull the gear selector into position hold it. It will not detent and hold in position on its own. Crawling under the car and manually moving the shifter mechanism at the trans will click through and hold in all positions. I have tried adjusting the lever with the slider but am still not able to get it right.

I started searching and looking for other differences that might be at play. I do see a couple of different shift lever brackets and I am wondering if I need a specific one to match the rest of my setup.

In this thread, @Oldmanmopar posted several photos noting photo 4 on the left is 727. Here is photo 4

DSCN0909.JPG

If I do a google search for 727 shift lever, I see both styles listed. Many of the listings are claiming they will work for both 904 & 727 but they are clearly different.

So, which one do I need? To further complicate this, I see different versions of each style.
Shift_levers.jpg

I currently have #3 installed. It's what was there when I purchased the 727. #4 looks to be a little longer and has bends that #3 does not have.

you will just have to play with what you have until you find the right combination that will work. put the linkage in park, set it so that it locks the trans and the column shift is locked in the detent as well. Then move it down to low D1, take the rod off of the trans linkage arm at the trans and see if the throw is off, is anything blocking the linkage from moving where it needs to go? If not and it has traveled as far as it can, and you cant get enough adjustment to get D1 without changing the park position, then you will have to lengthen or shorten, whatever you need , your linkage rod, or get a different throw linkage arm to attain your goal. I have had to modify those linkages many a time because I just couldnt find the exact right combination. its easy, cut and weld! or mark and have someone else cut and weld.

I am finishing up the last few items in my build. One item I have left to resolve is the gear shift lever travel. I have a 1972 Dart which originally had a column shifted 904. After installing a 727, I was not able to get both park and drive 1 no matter how I tried to adjust it (I'd have park but no 1 or 1 but then no park). I had installed the 904 linkage not knowing it wouldn't work or that it was different until I came here and started looking around. Once I knew I needed different linkage, I bought and installed what is supposed to be correct for 71-73 column shift 727.

This is the 727 shift linkage kit that I bought. When I compared it to the 904 linkage I removed, it was all very different as expected.
View attachment 1716231860

The shifter traveling through the gears is much smoother now since the shifter has the correct geometry but I am still having an issue getting both Park and Drive 1 into adjustment. Before, If I had Park adjustment, I couldn't access drive 1 no matter what. Now, I am able to get to it but I have to pull the gear selector into position hold it. It will not detent and hold in position on its own. Crawling under the car and manually moving the shifter mechanism at the trans will click through and hold in all positions. I have tried adjusting the lever with the slider but am still not able to get it right.

I started searching and looking for other differences that might be at play. I do see a couple of different shift lever brackets and I am wondering if I need a specific one to match the rest of my setup.

In this thread, @Oldmanmopar posted several photos noting photo 4 on the left is 727. Here is photo 4

View attachment 1716231870

If I do a google search for 727 shift lever, I see both styles listed. Many of the listings are claiming they will work for both 904 & 727 but they are clearly different.

So, which one do I need? To further complicate this, I see different versions of each style.
View attachment 1716231875

I currently have #3 installed. It's what was there when I purchased the 727. #4 looks to be a little longer and has bends that #3 does not have.
U need the #1 lever on the left in your pic. Kim

727 in 1976 Dodge D100 Pickup (small block):

Screenshot_20240406-033453_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240406-033529_Gallery.jpg

And a 727, that was set up to go into a '69 Satellite with a 318. Linkage swing worked perfect with a stock '69 auto steering column.

Screenshot_20240406-031940_Gallery.jpg

The #1 727 straight shift arm as pictured above.

☆☆☆☆☆

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I switched my lever from 3 to 1 and that fixed it! It’s shifting into and staying in each gear Starts only in park and neutral!

-
Back