727 wierdness

-

plymouth67

It be a lot cooler if you did...
Reaction score
So the 727 in the Duster is being flaky... fire it up..take off down the street 1,2,3...all gears. Drive it for 5 minutes and it doesnt want to go in to 3rd. I have set and reset the kickdown 20 times...this trans was rebuilt by me about 15 years ago but has really not seen any action until recently. I have not pulled the pan yet but plan to over the winter to see if when I put the shift kit in that maybe I didnt set the pressure valve correctly. Any other thoughts??

First make sure the fluid is full.

Then if that's not it.

It's probably either a case of a valve hanging up in the valve body, governor or an internal fluid leak.
I'm leaning towards a fluid leak because usually if internal damage is causing valves to hang up it will be on the first drive after sitting over night.
OR, it could be the governor valve or a valve body valve hanging.

JMO

Last edited:
A little more info will help. What shift kit? Did it ever work good? Has it been drive a few times a year since rebuilt. Could also be a sealing ring or a lip seal Problem. Kim

I'm hoping it's not a sealing problem. It was driven a like 10 miles after the rebuild and it worked. Then it sat in the car for around 12 years...it has been moved up and down the road a little over the last couple years...it did not have the kickdown on it but it went into 3rd and was not driven but maybe 5 miles in the last couple years. Now with kickdown on and car finished it goes right through the gears the first few times you drive it then all the sudden starts not wanting to go into third. It has a B&M shift kit in it.

And check all the other obvious things like if all the valve body, case to tailpiece, and rear mount bolts are still torqued to spec or staying tight. I've had fairly good luck using Trans-X or Medic Transmission treatment, I always try it first unless there are more obvious issues like scorched or glittered fluid or pouring leaks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's $10-$20 you won't get back. But it does work well for internal ring or seal leaks caused by hardening (It's a little like used car scammers and brake fluid to fix a slipping transmission by swelling the piston seals) or sticky valves. Let us know, hoping you don't have to go through it all over again.

Is your kickdown (throttle valve) linkage binding and sticking back? Do you have a return spring pulling the linkage forward?
Yes I have a return spring on it and, it doesnt seem to be binding....looks like I have all winter to figure it out as there is a few inches of snow on the ground now....yuck!!!

-
Back