727 works fine but wont manually shift 1st

-

Dirtwheels78

Reaction score
For some reason I can not shift this car manually into 1st gear? It only goes from drive to second gear manually? I'd like to be able to shift into to first ( On the column ) to hold rpms when doing a little street racing but am afraid I'll break something forcing the column shift. I've tried this in park and while running both. This is my first mopar and here is the build on my transmission. Any advice or is it something I'm ignorant too?

Trans: rebuilt 727 and converter, shift kit, 7.5"x9" trannycooler, custom HD drive shaft

who rebuild it?
and when ?

I would get under there and check to see if the linkage is binding

I had that issue when I put the big block in my Demon. The the arm at the trans on the torque shaft was hitting a boss on the bell housing. I ended up cutting the welds on that arm, re indexing it and welded it back to correct it. I would first adjust the linkages to make sure they're correct then start looking for interference somewhere. Could also be parts that aren't matched properly. To isolate further you could disconnect the linkage at the trans shift lever, move it thru by hand making sure it hits all the detents and move the column shifter thru to see if it gives you full travel. Just make sure the linkage will clear everything while moving it. Make sure you chock the wheels so it doesn't roll on you.

-
Back