7290 Style U Joint issue

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Upon a recent inspection I noticed I can wobble the drive line with my hand. On the tranny end the caps are captured and the center section moves in both directions equally within the caps. The Axle end UJ is good, trans end U joint is the issue. Both U joints have less than 100 miles. 68 Barracuda factory 8 3/4 diff/ yoke, factory 4spd and factory drive line. I trusted Napa on these new U joints, (SKF 308s ?) I have the larger 2.625" yoke.

From reading, I thought I needed only to cue in on a 7290 style joint, enter : a new Spicer 5-1309x which after measuring has the same shorter cap and same shorter end to end axle dimension as the NAPA SKF 's . I kept the old Wesco 3 U Joints that were on the car and began measuring, clearly the Wesco axle end to end is longer by about 7/64" and the caps are taller as well.

From reading here Im guessing I must have the wrong 1330 caps? and that simply looking for a 7290 " style" is not all the info I need. Any help with a part number would be appreciated.

20231226_131502.jpg

20231226_131435.jpg

I just used UJ5811X from Brewers. Non greasable, internal locks. Think that they measure 3 5/8" cap to cap. I don't care for greasable u-joints, twisted one off once, no more. Only thing I didn't like about them was the plastic dust covers, will look locally for ones with rubber next time. Find a local driveshaft shop if you can.

I just used UJ5811X from Brewers. Non greasable, internal locks. Think that they measure 3 5/8" cap to cap. I don't care for greasable u-joints, twisted one off once, no more. Only thing I didn't like about them was the plastic dust covers, will look locally for ones with rubber next time. Find a local driveshaft shop if you can.
Yeah, I've got a couple drive shaft shops in mind. Think I'll go solid as well. Thanks Cruz

Take everything thing with you, they will get you fixed up! That's what they do.

Take everything thing with you, they will get you fixed up! That's what they do.
Here's the comparison between the old Wesco 3 U joints that fit and the 7290 from Spicer I just bought and measured. The SKF UJ's that are wobbly/ on the drive shaft have identical dimensions to the Spicer. I sent this to Brewers to see what they say. Drive shaft shop opens at 8, will see what they say. What else is bizzare is, the 2 old WESCO 3 U joints are identical. The sloppy SKF tranny side U joint NAPA sold me is CLEARLY part Number SKF 308s which is nowhere to be found on-line. The axle end U Joint NAPA sold me is NOT sloppy in the drive shaft and has a part number SKF 1569.

Wesco 3 Cap to Groove Height.jpg

Spicer Cap to Groove Height.jpg

Wesco 3 Cap to Cap.jpg

Spicer Cap to Cap.jpg

Wesco 3 Axis Length.jpg

Spicer Axis Length.jpg

Wow! I guess its not just me. I have been having nothing but trouble trying to get ujoints for my project too. My problem is the opposite of yours, mine have the clip grooves too far apart to fit into the driveshaft.

I posted a link to your thread in mine: About To Just Give Up!!!

The days of just ordering the part you need are gone.
Ha, yep one of the many articles I've read here recently. So I took everything to a drive line shop close by and got to talking and trusting a guy, mainly because his hands were greasy from actually doing the work. He assured me a Spicer (solid) 5-811X is what I need so I found 2 of those and as it turns out, the 2 Hermaphrodites that wobbled are actually for GM stuff.

Ha! There ya go. Glad that you have a solution to your problem.

-
Back