73 340 questions ....any help appreciated

-

darkshadow188

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Im in the process of building a 340 (73 block) and have a couple questions for the mopar wizzards out there.

1.) I cant find the oiler bolt for the thrust plate. Does anyone know if it is needed or where to find one so I dont have to pay the machine shop to drill one of my extras. Also my thrust plate had 4 bolts and no drip plate, will this be okay. Id feel better about using 4 bolts as opposed to 3 ( one of which would have a hole in it ).

2.) I plan on using a dual plane intake such as the rpm airgap. The question I have is does anyone have any tried and true combos for a cam and stall. Ive got 3.26 gears and will be using a auto 727. Im looking for about 400hp thats got balls when I need it but can also be a grocery getter when it needs to be as well. I have j heads that have been ported and polished with 2.02 1.64 valves and they ar3 double springed. It originally had a purple cam in it but since we cant identify it wed like to just start with new so we know what weve got for sure. Using .30 over forged pistons and forged crank. Any good cam reccomendations with specs would be greatly appreciated too.

I'm sure ill have a few more questions aw I go along but thats it for now. Thanks so much for all the help ! I did some searching on the forum but it wasnt working with my phone and I have no computer so I apologize if these have been asked before.

Thanks again,
Nick (DarkShadow)

If you're too cheap to pay a machine shop to drill one hole through a bolt, you might better change hobbies.

You can just leave the top bolt out if you don't have the one with the hole or can't find one. You can just run without the drip tab and no top passenger bolt, as I've seen some built that way before.

It's better if you use the drip tab, but I would want at least three bolts in the camshaft thrust plate.

If you want to run the drip tab (and I would want to also), I would drill the thrust plate hole a little larger, then bend the anti rotational tab into the extra clearance of the hole so you can run the bolt in that hole without interference and not run the passenger side upper bolt. Then you can have three bolts holding the camshaft thrust plate in.

Here's a thread I wrote about assembling the front of a small block and shows the critical points.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=287231

1. buy a good drill bit and DIY.
2. Do not overcam with a 3.23 gear. Follow the guidelines of the cam manufacturer for gear, converter, compression ratio. A 268 or 272 duration, 2500 stall will haul the mail for a street car with 3.23 gear. You also mentioned you have double springs, run the springs required by the cam manufacturer.

340's like to...need to rev to make the most power. U can run 3.23 gears all day long and it be "OK" but 4.10's would make a big difference...thats why it has double valve springs

I got 3.90 gear and expect on the freeway doing 80, I wished it had 4.56 gears. 3.90's are a compromise believe it or not

-
Back