73, 74, 75, and 76 dusters and dart sports

-
When I first got it, and a few in progress photos. Hoping to be 4 speed swapped and running by the end of the year.

3C1794E9-CDE9-4E90-9928-5BA0ED6555A3.jpeg

62F85A3B-DE04-440F-BC13-A235C840D3CB.png

1B687C02-8F17-4B89-8043-13911E2E0458.jpeg

4408B90F-1127-4008-A87B-7C1C400D5B8D.jpeg

40F4D1D1-3F84-4F47-BD8C-9BFC37B672CC.png

My 76 Dart sport. Day i brought it home. Owned this car 30 plus years ago. Its rough, i dont care. I have a parts car. I drove my wife to hospital to give birth to our first child. I decided to recover it and get it back on the road. It runs and drives now, but thats it.

763FFE2D-3601-42A7-83FF-792500282F3F.jpeg

My 76 Dart sport. Day i brought it home. Owned this car 30 plus years ago. Its rough, i dont care. I have a parts car. I drove my wife to hospital to give birth to our first child. I decided to recover it and get it back on the road. It runs and drives now, but thats it.

View attachment 1716045984
That looks like an Illinois car after one winter.

I've always been a fan of the 73/74 Duster, and not just because I had one.
The first one I saw was around 1974/75, when our neighbor traded in her 71/72 on a newer one.
I believe I've liked them ever since.
I like the front end and never considered it a "beak".

The Dodges, OTOH are IMO not as attractive, but with the right combo of other options (HIP color, scoop, wider rear wheels, etc), or a "could have been that way from the factory" tasteful grill blackout, they can look pretty good.

That's because all 73's and most 74's are not Beak cars at all. Only some 74's came with the extended bumper in the front; however, they did have the rubber bumpers. They sold more Dusters in 74 than any other year-280,000

I was under the impression "beak" referred to the grill and hood (header panel for the dodge) as well as the bumper.

On a Dart Sport Maybe not the Duster. It's the Cars that came with the impact bumper( piston supports) and the filler panel that pushes the bumper out about 3 inches. All 75's and 76's had them.

On a Dart Sport Maybe not the Duster. It's the Cars that came with the impact bumper( piston supports) and the filler panel that pushes the bumper out about 3 inches. All 75's and 76's had them.

FYI, my '74 has the 5mph bumper front and back. From the factory.

But I have a friend that had a '74 as well and had the standard bumper on the front. Can't remember if the rear had a standard or 5mph one or not, but I know the front wasn't for sure.

Yea, most 74's did not have the 5mph bumpers in the front. They all had them in the rear

‘74 model year started with shock mounted bumpers front and rear. Due to a production or supply issue they switched back to non-shock mounted bumpers in the front sometime in December ‘73. The remaining production ‘74 model year kept the non-shock front and the shock mounted rear, with threaded mounts in the front frame rails for both the shock mounted and non-shock mounted bumpers. So if you want to convert your ‘74 to an earlier front end, one produced between January’74 to July when production ended is much easier :thumbsup:

‘74 model year started with shock mounted bumpers front and rear. Due to a production or supply issue they switched back to non-shock mounted bumpers in the front sometime in December ‘73. The remaining production ‘74 model year kept the non-shock front and the shock mounted rear, with threaded mounts in the front frame rails for both the shock mounted and non-shock mounted bumpers. So if you want to convert your ‘74 to an earlier front end, one produced between January’74 to July when production ended is much easier :thumbsup:

Yep, just another one of those things I just barely missed out on. Mine was produce end of November, so it didn't get the inserts. Such is life.

:lol:

Yep, just another one of those things I just barely missed out on. Mine was produce end of November, so it didn't get the inserts. Such is life.

:lol:

I just got lucky! I didn’t know any of that until well after I’d already bought mine.

'74 . . .
Rear tucked bumper.

View attachment 1716045904
Like @72bluNblu is talking about the energy absorbing shocks in the rear bumper.

Sucked in the rear energy absorbing bumper with a come-a-long to to rear end. Then made up a 6" strap, frame to bumper to hold them in place.

The bodyman that bought the car was trying to figure out how I got those rear bumpers on there.
Lol . .

2019042595113922.jpg

He has it shaped up to a beautiful car now, and last Summer added the 318 (with new reman 302 heads) LD4B intake, 1406 Carb, and 904 trans. Had the 8 3/4 in it when he got it.

He had a pro window tint shop lightly tint the windows, nice touch with the new paint job.

Front bumper > no energy absorbers, just pulled it back on the sub frame 1 1/2" back and drilled the new rear hole to fasten.

20230206_232635.jpg

So yeah he has himself one sweet '74 now. And it now currently has a set of 14" x 6" Cragars besides.

☆☆☆☆☆

View attachment 1716045984
How far are you along with the resto now?

How far are you along with the resto now?
Havent started to bring it back yet. Too many squirrels. I found a truck i wanted, finished it and bought a second truck. I want to do some work to it this summer.

-
Back