73 74 Duster Hood scoops, Anyone have these?

-

Moparparts

Reaction score
Does anyone have these hood scoops on their 73 or 74 Duster from the factory or have documentation that they were even made for production? According to the Chrysler parts book, they were a hood ornament assembly, part number 2949336-7 that were installed on the sports hood option of a 73 and 74 Duster only?? Is the sports hood considered the V21 hood performance stripe option? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• scoopsthread.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,390
I know of a member here that has a 74 Duster 360 4spd car that had them. Also seen pictures of a yellow one and a TB3 one. In the duster factory brochure there is also a picture of one. Just a fun tidbit, they are the same scoops that came on 69 'cudas

And the V21 code is simply the hood black out. My 340 4spd duster also had that.

project29.jpg

project4.jpg

J54 - Sport hood

Not sure if it originally had the scoops or not, the previous owner swears it did....I'm a little more cautious saying it ever did.
The previous owner would not include the scoops with purchase price of the car.
I do not see in the dealer book where the scoops were ever available on the 1974 model.
They do show them in the 1973 dealer book for the 1973 Duster as being only available on the Twister model: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...ealershipDataBook/1973/73_Valiant_Duster5.jpg

It is from the 73 Chrysler parts book but they often carried over pics from previous years and models thus you can not use pics in the parts or service manuals for documentation all the time they where for reference only.

never seen them in my life I want to see a set of them on a car

There is a member on here with a black one that has white stripes and those scoops.

They were on Twisters.

You don't see many 73 and up Twisters.

I've seen about three. I think they made them until 75 or 76.

I've seen about 2 dozen 71/72 Twisters.

I was wondering if they were the same as 69 Cuda scoops.

well i will be struck by lightening right where i am sitting. i really feel like an asshole, thanks a lot. i told some one awhile back that those scoops were added by someone and that they were not factory and that they were in fact 69 cuda' scoops. i apologize. WTF gives? every time i turn around , i end up with my foot in my mouth over these frickin A bodies. did some rep working for chrysler run into a storage room of these scoops in 1973 left over from 1969 and decide this was how they were going to get rid of them?

I thought they looked like 69 Cuda scoops from the scetch and i checked the 69 parts book again and now i found the same part number for them in the exterior molding illustration section of the 69 Book showing them on the Cuda hood. I have ran into this before on other Mopar models where they went back a few years and used the same parts again. Thanks everyone for the input it is appreciated!

what is the code for twister?i got a buddy thats got what i think is a 73 twister...it had the scoops like pictured.

at any rate, i dont care for the way they look on a duster. they worked for the 69s but look like an afterthought on the 73-4s . but thats my opinion. had my duster came with them, i would have taken them off.

The link I put on says they were discontinued after the 72 model year.
Try it and go down about half the page. Has the Twister package stuff
there.
Here is the pic from the dealer brochure. Never used.

Attachments

• -2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,048
at any rate, i dont care for the way they look on a duster. they worked for the 69s but look like an afterthought on the 73-4s . but thats my opinion. had my duster came with them, i would have taken them off.
gotta say I agree with you there.

i have that option on my 1973 duster mine has the the double scoop in middle that there is not a hole so it does not work i want to find out more of that option v21

The V21 code (Performance Hood Treatment) for the 73/74 models was a rarely picked option. This code is only for the perimeter black-out...no scoops

The V21 code was available to 340s/360s and Twisters

The J54 code for the Sports Hood - (dual cuda scoops) was only available to 73 Twisters.

It was not available to 73 340s or 74 360s/Twisters

In order to option the J54 (Sports Hood), you had to have a 1973 A51 (Twister Model) and those usually also had the V21 (Performance Hood Treatment).

The V21 code (Performance Hood Treatment) for the 73/74 models was a rarely picked option. This code is only for the perimeter black-out...no scoops

The V21 code was available to 340s/360s and Twisters

The J54 code for the Sports Hood - (dual cuda scoops) was only available to 73 Twisters.

It was not available to 73 340s or 74 360s/Twisters

In order to option the J54 (Sports Hood), you had to have a 1973 A51 (Twister Model) and those usually also had the V21 (Performance Hood Treatment).

Sounds legit, however that cannot be the case...at least not when concerning the 1974 cars...
Take a look a few posts above, I show the fender tag for my 1974 Duster 360 4-speed.
It shows my car was originally a J54 sport hood car, however my car has both the blackout and the scoops.
I am not totally convinced either way what J54 actually optioned in 1974, but I would guess it is the blackout as opposed to the scoops...but perhaps it is both combined?!?

-
Back