73' 904 swap to 727: what parts need to be swapped?

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
So I'm sourcing parts for when the car is going to get stuff thrown at it. I know the 904 is bone stock and instead of trying to upgrade it, was looking to have a beefy 727 slapped in. besides the driveshaft, what parts will need to be swapped/modified to make it work? I do plan to swap from column to floor shift (aftermarket) and converted to 4bbl carb. and suggestions would be appreciated.

So I'm sourcing parts for when the car is going to get stuff thrown at it. I know the 904 is bone stock and instead of trying to upgrade it, was looking to have a beefy 727 slapped in. besides the driveshaft, what parts will need to be swapped/modified to make it work? I do plan to swap from column to floor shift (aftermarket) and converted to 4bbl carb. and suggestions would be appreciated.
Reuse the speedo gear from the 904 if you are retaining the same rear end.

Converter and possibly throttle pressure goodies.
The cable for throttle pressure is best in my opinion.

Two biggest parts are the driveshaft and kickdown linkage.
By the way if you are running that low of horsepower would it not be less expensive to stay with a 904? There is a lot of manufactures that make performance parts for the 904.
I have done a bunch of 904 and 727. By the way I am definitely a 727 guy (had to mention that before I get ration of crap from all of my friends) If going to a 727 the driveshaft is probably the most expensive part unless you have one. You can run a manual valve body and then you do not have to worry about the kick down linkage. You did not mention what rearend you have. Most of the time when people upgrade the transmission, they already have an 8 3/4. And save that speedo gear you are going to need it.

Last edited:
I've taken the driveshaft from a 904 equipped car and had them shortened. The slip in yoke is different between them though. 727 bigger diameter and different #of splines

Converter and possibly throttle pressure goodies.
The cable for throttle pressure is best in my opinion.
Never knew the converters were unmerchantable between 904 and 727 trans. figured I would get one with trans as needed for my build.

I've taken the driveshaft from a 904 equipped car and had them shortened. The slip in yoke is different between them though. 727 bigger diameter and different #of splines
Two biggest parts are the driveshaft and kickdown linkage.
By the way if you are running that low of horsepower would it not be less expensive to stay with a 904? There is a lot of manufactures that make performance parts for the 904.
I have done a bunch of 904 and 727. By the way I am definitely a 727 guy (had to mention that before I get ration of crap from all of my friends) If going to a 727 the driveshaft is probably the most expensive part unless you have one. You can run a manual valve body and then you do not have to worry about the kick down linkage. You did not mention what rearend you have. Most of the time when people upgrade the transmission, they already have an 8 3/4. And save that speedo gear you are going to need it.
car is getting 8 3/4 and engine is estimated between 500+hp with supercharger. shop will build be a new driveshaft.

-
Back