73 and 74 Swinger door differences and question

-

moparbud66

Reaction score
I read on one of the threads about the 73 Swingers having a one year only window. I checked on my 74 parts car and sure enough, the window guide rails are different which probably means that the window glass is different also. Is one arrangement any better than the other? I may have to switch both doors to the 73.

What was the first year for bracing in the doors for side impact protection? That might have made a difference for the rails.

Yes side bracing is the difference pick one up they(74) are heavy the difference in the Windows is the number of bolts that hold the window to the hardware.

I just checked and both years have the side impact beam. The window mechanisms are completely different though. The 73 has a large scissor type window regulator whereas the 74 has a much larger toothed gear and just a short arm that moves the window up and down. I guess its this type of stuff that keeps this hobby so interesting. I think I will use the 74 doors, they seem to work smoother. I doubt the windows are interchangeable.

DSCF3087.JPG

DSCF3088.JPG

You already figured it out but the side impact beam started in '73 with the body and interior redesign like a lot of stuff.

I would also suspect that the '74 mechanism is probably a better set up, seems to have fewer moving parts than the earlier ones. The only thing I've noticed about my '74 Duster's glass compared to my other cars is that it can be tilted more front to back, there's play in it in that plane which can effect sealing. But the mechanism seems smoother. The earlier stuff seems to hold the glass better front to back, but allows it to tip in and out. Who knows. A window hardware kit would probably fix most of that anyway. I would just use whatever set of doors has less bodywork to do on it and buy a hardware kit for the window and regulator.

-
Back