73 and up disc brake swap, what lower balljoints?

-

robcuda

Reaction score
Hello Gentleman!

I'm going to do a drum to disc (front) on a 64 Cuda. I found a 74 Duster in a junkyard, I plan to pick the upper control arm, spindle, caliper brackets, calipers, and discs. Should I bother pulling the lower balljoint?

I'm uncertain whether that's a unique part needed for the swap? It appears that I can buy lower balljoints for a 74 Duster at most autoparts stores. Will a 74 Duster lower balljoint play well with a 64 Cuda?

Talk to me like I'm approximately 16 years old (my peak for car knowledge)!

You can just buy the lower ball joints for the ‘74 spindles and disks. You do need them, your ‘64 lower ball joints won’t fit (different bolt spacing). The ‘74 lower ball joints should work fine for you.

You can just buy the lower ball joints for the ‘74 spindles and disks. You do need them, your ‘64 lower ball joints won’t fit (different bolt spacing). The ‘74 lower ball joints should work fine for you.
I really appreciate it!

It might be a good idea to check your tie rod ends and etc.when when doing this swap ,I done this swap on a dart swinger sometimes its hard to fi d the discbrake spindles,get plenty of p b blaster and a good tuning fork

There is some really good info on this swap in Tom Condran's "Performance Handling for Classic Mopars". Let me know if you don't have a copy (or can't find one somewhere). I can quote or copy what you need and send it to you.

It might be a good idea to check your tie rod ends and etc.when when doing this swap ,I done this swap on a dart swinger sometimes its hard to fi d the discbrake spindles,get plenty of p b blaster and a good tuning fork
got it, thanks for the tip!

How's the swap going?
Hey Buddy!
Thanks for asking! I just pulled all the front brakes from a 74 Duster. Just left the lower ball joints figuring I would buy new ones. I've got to now see if there's any meat left in the discs and get some remanufactured calipers (have the Duster donor for cores). Can't wait to get discs on the Cuda!

Your going to have such a bad *** ride ,take your time look on line ,you can find some great deals on parts you will look back one day and say hell,I done this myself bolt by bolt ,that's a feeling you just can't beat ,plus its a classic ,and a Mopar ,so its a win win for you good luck ,keep us posted

-
Back