'73 Center Link vs Pre '73 Tie Rod Sleeves

-

Dantra

69 Dart.. AKA Butters
Reaction score
I recently had to upgrade to a 73 up center link, idler and pitman arm to gain some (Holley) oil pan clearance on a Hemi swap. It almost appears that my tie rod sleeves are going to be just a little long but from what I'm seeing is that the sleeves did not change (62-76). I assume the difference is in the knuckle arm and I'm not ready to do a disc conversion just yet.. Hopefully this summer once I've collected everything. 1 Thing at a time because everything snowballs...

Is the solution to shorten the sleeve or is there another method? I've shortened sleeves on other builds, just not sure it's the right solution for this one. Maybe there's something I'm overlooking.

Thanks

Last edited:
I went from the earlier setup to the later at one point and I don’t remember changing my tie rod ends or sleeves and don’t remember problems.

Far as I know, you shouldn’t need to change the spindles or lower ball joint. People have gone the other way for years and done the later spindle swap with the earlier center link and I don’t remember any problems.

There was another thread where a guy had to change his center link for the same reason and thought he had the same problem, or that the angle of the tie rods was too severe. But he didn’t end up have a real issue as best I remember. Let me see if I can find the thread.

@Dantra looks like you were part of the thread I was thinking of. But there is a link to it in this thread that I found while I was looking for it. Not sure it helps, but maybe?

I went from the earlier setup to the later at one point and I don’t remember changing my tie rod ends or sleeves and don’t remember problems.

Far as I know, you shouldn’t need to change the spindles or lower ball joint. People have gone the other way for years and done the later spindle swap with the earlier center link and I don’t remember any problems.

There was another thread where a guy had to change his center link for the same reason and thought he had the same problem, or that the angle of the tie rods was too severe. But he didn’t end up have a real issue as best I remember. Let me see if I can find the thread.
I remember that thread.. his tie rods were unhappy but was because he was up in the air. I think once he got weight on the car, he was fine. But he had later spindles as well

-
Back