'73 Dart, should I make it a '72?

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Heyyyyyy . . . .

I'm gonna take a poll with all you guys . . . . When I tear her down, should I replace the front clip with a '72 or keep her a '73? Suggestions, opinions either way are appreciated! Rog

I much prefer the 72 front end but that is just my opinion. I have seen some really nice 73's. You just need to find a donor car, that is really the easiest way.

ive never really liked the point either, so i say change it, but i also say stick with what ya got, so dont listen to me obviously..

Sounds like you don't like it yourself. Change it if it bothers you. The 73's without the big bumperettes aren't too bad. Thew 70-72 looks SO much better though IMO.

I like all Darts, I bought this one becasue I liked it . . . but I am partial to the 70-72 Darts because I bought a 70 Swinger 340 new in the fall of 1969. Rog

Change it. The point is awful.

Might also remove some weight from the front if you ditched the gi-normous 5mph bumper, which BTW is just as fugly as that grille.

Car design took a nose-dive across the board in '73.

I'm doing it with my 73 dart sport 340 convertriple I just picked up. I thought about leaving it the way it is right now, but I just cant get over the nose part of it. I've already done one in the past that was a 73 duster and turned it into a 71 duster and had all the metal work done in one weekend, nose, tailpanel, side markers. The only thing I didnt like about it were the doors with the plastic tops on them instead the metal. I'd say do it!!

Change it. The point is awful.

Might also remove some weight from the front if you ditched the gi-normous 5mph bumper, which BTW is just as fugly as that grille.

Car design took a nose-dive across the board in '73.

watch it those might be fighten words

i am the proud owner of a 74 duster, yes it has a pointed grill,

acually my duster is is ABOUT identical to a 70-72, alls i would need to do is change the grill, hood, and front bumber to make a clone. so i wouldnt quite say that car design took a nose dive in 73 even though the 5mph bumpers are not quite as pretty. Abody didnt change very much, a dart still looked like a dart and a duster still looked like a duster. if anything car design took a nose dive in 76 with the f-bodys

my cousins dart still has the pointed front end (73 dart swinger) it turned out great. ill post some pics soon

If you want to change it , DO IT ! It's your car afterall .
And I of course am partial to the 72's .
I changed my rear bumper to the earlier style cause I like the single tail light cut out rather than the quad lamps . (Mix and match mopars) . Chrysler did quite a bit of that between models and product lines that's the beauty of parts interchangability !

i have a 75, which is the same with the point and all.

i myself prefer the 72 and wanted to do the swap, however it just hasnt presented itself in a cheap manner.

if u do decide to stay with teh 73, there are some things u can do.

if u remove the bumper u can remove the heavy metal support to ditch some weight and then make ur own brackets to attach it. u can also do a bumper slide to make it more streamlined.

then there are things u can do to the grill, i prefer a blackout treatment.

Here is my 75, so u can see wat i have done with it

bumpertucketc004.jpg

bumpertucketc002.jpg

With your 73 you could put on 69 Cuda fenders and grille and keep the original hood. Supposedly they were the same skin.

Convert the doors too, vent windows kick ***.

Since mine is a #s matching 340 A/C sunroof Top Bananna hood scooped and blacked out car, I ain't touchin' mine.

popdart I face the same thing I also bought a 73 and wanted a 72. Let me know what you decide and how hard it is to do. I may change mine out also.

Trim down the impact beam behind the chrome bumper, take off the bumperettes and fill the holes with bumper bolts add a Twin snorkal hood scoop and leave it a 73. The point rules!

I did the same thing. I love the 70 Darts. All I had was a 73 Scamp. I made my own 70 Dart look alike. It's your car. It's like personalizing it your way.

Fred B

so far its 12 votes for changing it, 6 votes for leaving it, and 2 kinda neutral . . . thanks for the opinions and direction either way! . . . . Rog

-
Back