73 Dart Sport Suspension upgrade

-

Trav K

Reaction score
dart 5.jpg

Recently purchased a 73 Dart Sport 340, the resto is 80% done on it. But after a good 300 mile trip I'm really considering updating the suspension and steering to drasticly improve the OEM system.
Now this is an all original #'s car, am I crazy to want to do this or what? It handles pretty decent for a 44 year old car but I want this to be a summer cruiser that the wife & kids could drive too and not white knuckle it ;)

Dart 2.jpg

I just upgraded my 74 Duster with tubular upper control arms, stiffening plates on the lower control arms, 1.03 torsion bars, Sway bars front and back and Bilstein RCD shocks. I got it all from PST and with the FABO discount it was just over 2500 bucks. I feel it was money well spent. The car handles corners with confidence, it rides great, and if you decide to throttle around a corner, there is no body sway at all. Overall I think you will be glad you did it if you choose to.

PST was great to deal with.

Cley

Not crazy at all. And you can do a lot without really getting into modifications that can't be undone. Most of it isn't really all that noticeable. The stock UCA's will work just fine with Moog offset bushings, K7103, to get you better alignment numbers. The stiffening plate on the LCA's isn't all that noticeable. 1.03" torsion bars don't stand out much either, you'd have to really look at them. Aftermarket sway bars are pretty common, and if someone was really worried about being stock later they can be removed. Shocks are shocks, the Bilsteins won't look out of place. You already have 73+ disks, you could get a set of 11.75" caliper brackets and rotors and bolt them right on, don't even have to change the calipers and you can get a pretty decent improvement in braking. Or change the calipers out for a later set with 2.75" bore pistons and improve it even more, the later calipers look the same. Replace all the bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends while your in there and you should have a much better handling car. A set of frame connectors and torque boxes would be a good thing to add, but you can do the other upgrades without adding the frame connectors and torque boxes, you'd still have a better handling car. Even torque boxes by themselves wouldn't look out of place on a 340 car.

I just put hotchkis tvs kit on my demon and sent my steering box to firmfeel I'm glad I did well worth the money

-
Back