-

Down Shift

Reaction score
Hi FABO

So, here is my 1973 Dart Swinger.

IMG_0331_zps957at0mq.png

IMG_0328_zpsl8e5ibcl.png

IMG_0326_zpsdh1xicnm.png

I bought it off a local Craigslist ad. It had been sitting for 13 years, but the PO had it listed as a "running and driving" car. Well, it sorta ran when he poured gas down the carb, and it moved all of 50 feet before it stalled out and he could not get it started again. Fine, the car looked ok and the price wasn't bad, so I bought it. I rented a U-Haul trailer and dragged it home the next evening.

Once home, I started going through it. The radiator was toast, the carburetor needed to be rebuilt, and the brakes needed attention.

IMG_0347_zpszyf6ct3s.jpg

My garage is pretty decent, but there is a lot of other stuff in it, so I have to keep my mess constrained to one bay.

Man, sometimes I feel for people starting from there like I did on my 73. :D

First thing I tackled was the radiator. Thanks to you guys, I found out that this inexpensive one from Advance Auto would work. It's not "correct", but nothing about the car is correct.

IMG_0370_zpsdlrp4xmy.jpg

$150 shipped is pretty good for a radiator these days.

IMG_0374_zpseuiev8al.jpg

I had to drill a couple holes in the radiator mounting flange to get it mounted, but it actually fits pretty good. I am still debating whether to build a shroud and keep the mechanical fan, or install a couple electric fans. The fan doesn't have a clutch, and its not a flex fan. I'm worried that it may come apart at high RPM. On the flip side, I'm worried about electric fans draining the battery. Any thoughts?

Here's the old radiator. That's not an optical illusion, its crooked...

IMG_0372_zps0tadnuxf.jpg

First thing I tackled was the radiator. Thanks to you guys, I found out that this inexpensive one from Advance Auto would work. It's not "correct", but nothing about the car is correct.

View attachment 1714989194

$150 shipped is pretty good for a radiator these days.

View attachment 1714989195

I had to drill a couple holes in the radiator mounting flange to get it mounted, but it actually fits pretty good. I am still debating whether to build a shroud and keep the mechanical fan, or install a couple electric fans. The fan doesn't have a clutch, and its not a flex fan. I'm worried that it may come apart at high RPM. On the flip side, I'm worried about electric fans draining the battery. Any thoughts?

Here's the old radiator. That's not an optical illusion, its crooked...

View attachment 1714989196

PO apparently didn't understand the function of a transmission oil cooler. He literally had the trans cooler lines looped together with a piece of rubber hose. The new radiator has proper provisions for a trans cooler, so put it back to the way it should be.

Good call on both counts.
The new radiator is bigger, and cooler lines are pretty important if it doesn't have any other provision for cooling it.
Lots of guys (including myself) have swapped out mechanical fans for electrics, and some of those went back to mechanical with a clutch and a shroud to get decent cooling.
I run that same radiator with a 17 inch electric S blade puller fan and it does ok unless it's over 100 degrees out, and then it might get up in the 220 range.
Mine is all fully automatic so it comes on at 210 and shuts off at 190 whether the car is running or not and I have never had it kill the battery.
(it usually doesn't come on until I stop and the temp climbs, and then it brings it back down to 190 and shuts off)
A good coolant recovery system is nice also.

Next up, the brakes.

IMG_0371_zpskw3nq5es.jpg

As you can see, the front right brake hose was toast. The master cylinder was empty, and there was evidence that it had been leaking so I just re-did everything. Of course, at least one line will fail to cooperate and require brake line surgery...

IMG_0367_zps3vg7uede.jpg

The rest of that line looked ok and wasn't leaking, so I put a new nut on it, flared it, and put it back together with a short piece of line. I don't do compression fittings on brakes, so no worries there.

IMG_0390_zpsxtkdgp8a.jpg

While I was in there, I replaced the Competition Engineering drag shocks with new Monroe Gas Matics. I dig the drag shocks, but they probably aren't so great on the road.

The new master cylinder went about as expected. One line would come loose, the other wouldn't, so another flare job and a union got it back in working order.

I really hate line wrenches. Even the decent Craftsman ones don't always work. I put a little anti seize on all the threads, so hopefully they come apart without too much of a fight next time!

A good coolant recovery system is nice also.

Yep. Agreed. The original was cracked and fiberglassed and cracked again. Nothing else is original, so why should the coolant recovery tank be original? Ten bucks at the local O'Reilly got me this:

IMG_0401_zpsslghczyc.jpg

IMG_0390_zpsxtkdgp8a.jpg

Next thing up was the carburetor. It came with a sad old aftermarket Carter AFB with a manual choke. Dig that custom vacuum plug on the back!

IMG_0350_zps2dnqod4w.jpg

After sitting for 13 years, I didn't have high hopes for it. I tore it apart for a rebuild. The fuel bowls were coated with varnish, and all the brass parts had turned green, but I cleaned everything, polished up the brass, installed new floats and set them per the directions in the rebuild kit, installed a new accelerator pump, and put it all back together with new gaskets.

IMG_0363_zpsi6kwbu1k.jpg

IMG_0366_zps31wldvw8.jpg

Sadly, it was a waste. No amount of fussing or tuning would get the car to idle with that carburetor. I worked on it for over a week in the evenings, no dice. I tore it back off the car and went back through it to make sure all the gaskets were in correctly, no dice. I plugged off all the vacuum accessories and tried tuning with just the carb, no dice. I looked for leaks using carb cleaner... I finally gave up and ordered a Holley. I had a Holley on my 1980 Trans Am street/strip car, and I had it tuned up great, so I guess I just went for what I know.

IMG_0377_zps0qatmlf4.jpg

That's a 670 CFM Street Avenger with an electric choke. The wire from the original electric choke was still there, so I spliced into it and it works just fine.

IMG_0397_zpsfctafdsn.jpg

The "Chrysler throttle lever" from Holley didn't actually fit or put the linkage in a spot that worked, so I made my own out of a piece of aluminum plate. I drilled the holes on my mill, then shaped it with the angle grinder and a hand file. Funny thing, I put that Holley on and had the car running in 5 minutes. I guess that Carter was the problem.

Notice that the kickdown linkage is missing. I thought the car might have a manual valve body, but when I finally got it back down on its wheels to try it out yesterday, I found out that is not the case. A Lokar cable and bracket should be here Tuesday. (Thanks to the FABO members who replied to my questions about this yesterday).

Yesterday I changed the transmission fluid and filter, engine oil and filter (which reminded my why headers are such a pain in the butt), and topped off the power steering fluid. Now it runs and drives, at least up and down the driveway.

On to the next steps!

The tires are old and ozone checked. It came with a spare set of Cragar S/S unilugs, but the rears are 15x8 with 3" backspacing. the rim is even with the fender... I don't think they're going to work. I'm looking at 15x8s with 4 1/2" back spacing in the rear, and 15x7 with 4" back spacing in the front. I am hoping I can run 235/60R15s in the rear and 215/65R15s in the front? Does this seem reasonable, or am I in danger territory with those sizes?

The engine in this car is a mystery. According to the VIN and other evidence it was originally a 318/904 car. The original stuff is long gone. PO didn't know if the current engine is a 340 or 360. He advertised it as a 360 because he thought it was better (LOL). The air cleaner says 340 4 barrel, but nothing in the drivetrain is original so there is no reason to expect that to be either. The headers are so tight to the block that I haven't been able to read the casting info on the block. Here is what I do know:

It has 915 heads with stamped rockers.

Compression test is around 155 psi for 6 of the 8 cylinders. I have to pull the driver's side header to get to the last 2 cylinders so I can check them and replace their spark plugs. I'll hopefully read the engine info off that side of the block while the header is loose!

It has a healthy cam. The idle is very choppy. I can get it to idle around 850 - 900 RPM with about 8" of vacuum. That is the most I've been able to get out of it so far.

With a dynamic compression ratio over 10:1 and healthy cam, does anyone have any guesses to my static compression ratio? I'm thinking I will probably need to run premium with an octane booster at a minimum.

Right now it has a factory intake manifold with spreadbore to square bore spacer. It came with a Torker II intake and another mystery camshaft in the trunk. The Torker II was definitely installed on an engine at one time. I suspect PO wasn't running it on this car due to hood clearance. I don't know if I will use it, I am leaning towards an RPM Air Gap manifold when the time comes.

The rear end is a 8 1/4" open diff with roughly 3.2:1 gears. What is common for these? 3.21, 3.23? I am not sure if I want to stick with this unit and install a Powertrax in it, or go whole hog and install a 8 3/4" Sure Grip with big gears. I had 3.73:1 gears in my old Trans Am. Without overdrive it was kinda miserable on the freeway. I'm thinking 3.23:1 gears with limited slip might be a little more reasonable for this street/strip build.

So, that's where I am right now. I'm moving from "triage" to "treatment" with this car. It needs quarter skins, and the right rear outer wheel house. The rockers will need to be replaced too, there is a lot of bondo in the right rocker. The floor pans are solid except for a small area where the undercoating came off. I have done floor pans and small panel patches, but never a whole quarter skin. This will be a new challenge for my meager welding abilities. I'm trying to keep the budget for this car under control, so my plan is to do all the work myself and live with the results. With winter coming it won't be on the road much. I am torn, just accept the body flaws and enjoy it next spring, or start the body work now knowing that it may not be back in one piece for at least a year.

Well, one thing I can tell you is a 235 isn't going to fit with a 4.5 backspace because it hits the springs.
You might get away with 235's with a 3 3/4 or 4 inch backspace.
My rims are 4.5 and the biggest tire I can get on it without hitting the springs is about 225.
My 73 is a daily driver so during the week I do body and primer, then if the weather allows I can get more paint on it little at a time on weekends.
Since the top surfaces were the worst I started on those surfaces and working my way down panel at a time.

headon.jpg

trunk.jpg

Well, one thing I can tell you is a 235 isn't going to fit with a 4.5 backspace because it hits the springs.
You might get away with 235's with a 3 3/4 or 4 inch backspace.
My rims are 4.5 and the biggest tire I can get on it without hitting the springs is about 225.
My 73 is a daily driver so during the week I do body and primer, then if the weather allows I can get more paint on it little at a time on weekends.
Since the top surfaces were the worst I started on those surfaces and working my way down panel at a time.

View attachment 1714989262

View attachment 1714989264
YOU MENTIONED THAT IT HAD DRAG SHOCKS ON THE FRONT. WHAT KIND OF CONDITION WOULD YOU SAY THEY WERE IN? ARE THEY WORTH SAVING AND INSTALLING ON ANOTHER CAR OR NOT? I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A PAIR FOR MY 68 DART GT AND BRAND NEW ONES ARE REAL EXPENSIVE. I FIGURED IF YOURS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND USABLE, I WOULD SEE IF YOU WANTED TO PART WITH THEM. I TO AM ON A LIMITED INCOME SO IF YOU THINK THEY STILL HAVE LIFE IN THEM, MAYBE WE COULD WORK SOMETHING OUT. LET ME KNOW PLEASE. BRIAN

Thanks for the heads up on the backspace. It came with 225/70R14s in the rear, not sure how wide the rim is. I have about 1/2" clearance to the spring and about 1.5" clearance to the fender, so I have more room to grow outboard than inboard. Problem is, decent looking 15x8s with 4" back space are not coming up on Jegs or Summit. I could run the cheapo Cragar "soft 8" steel wheels, but those look lousy on the street. I have no problem swapping them on at the track, though. Trying to keep things decent and low-buck, I was hoping to run these:

JEGS Performance Products 670010: Sport Torque Wheel Diameter & Width: 15 x 8" | JEGS

Maybe I can get away with a 1/2" spacer?

YOU MENTIONED THAT IT HAD DRAG SHOCKS ON THE FRONT. WHAT KIND OF CONDITION WOULD YOU SAY THEY WERE IN? ARE THEY WORTH SAVING AND INSTALLING ON ANOTHER CAR OR NOT? I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A PAIR FOR MY 68 DART GT AND BRAND NEW ONES ARE REAL EXPENSIVE. I FIGURED IF YOURS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE AND USABLE, I WOULD SEE IF YOU WANTED TO PART WITH THEM. I TO AM ON A LIMITED INCOME SO IF YOU THINK THEY STILL HAVE LIFE IN THEM, MAYBE WE COULD WORK SOMETHING OUT. LET ME KNOW PLEASE. BRIAN

Check your inbox...

Thanks for the heads up on the backspace. It came with 225/70R14s in the rear, not sure how wide the rim is. I have about 1/2" clearance to the spring and about 1.5" clearance to the fender, so I have more room to grow outboard than inboard. Problem is, decent looking 15x8s with 4" back space are not coming up on Jegs or Summit. I could run the cheapo Cragar "soft 8" steel wheels, but those look lousy on the street. I have no problem swapping them on at the track, though. Trying to keep things decent and low-buck, I was hoping to run these:

JEGS Performance Products 670010: Sport Torque Wheel Diameter & Width: 15 x 8" | JEGS

Maybe I can get away with a 1/2" spacer?

Pretty much exactly my clearances as well.
One of my favorite styles of wheel, and what I may very well end up with in an 18.
The spacer was what I was thinking also, but all that is going to wait till I get the Cherokee disc rear end under it so spacing is going to change anyway.

-
Back